+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Implanon and never ending period...

Have had implanon in for approx 20mths now.
    I have had it before, prior to my second child for 10mths with no issues.
    however, the last 3 mths have been horrible!
    I haven't stopped bleeding. When I think it's gone, we dtd and it comes back straight away. I've given up on dtd.
    as well as being a pita, I'm sooooooo tired. I sleep soooo much and it's never enough. I've fallen asleep at 8pm with the lights and tv still on and slept right through till 8am. Woke up tired, yet again. I have no energy and no appetite. I feel nauseous and weak.

i have told my gp, he fobbed it off as if it was normal and said "come back in a week if it's still going on".
    The bleeding varies in colour from bright red to brown to dark red. sometimes a bit clotty, sometimes very thin. I also get mild period pain while bleeding.

Its pretty full on and I'm hating life ATM because if it. Should I wait it put another week or get a second opinion?

Anyone else had the same problem?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, get rid of it. Worst thing I ever did was get that nasty bugger put into my arm.
    Hope you're ok

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The exact same thing happened to me, I had to get it out by the 4 month mark because I was miserable. No point in having contraception if you never want to DTD anyway!

I'd go see another Dr as soon as you can given how long it's been going on for

Thanks
    Reviews
    This was me too. 6 months i lasted before having it taken out. My doctor refused though saying if i take it out ill get pregnant and thats just "irresponsible". Had to go elsewhere

Thanks
    Reviews
    Those that had it removed, what did you replace it with?
    I chose implanon because it was cheap and I didn't have to remember daily pills ect.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Ekkk!
    I'd suggest finding a new GP. If you can't change then go back to the GP with specific dates so you can say something like, "I've been bleeding for the last 25 / 35 days" and tell them that you would like it removed because you can't live your life as you would like with such long periods.

I had one put in a couple of weeks ago so I'm still in the 'we'll see how it goes' phase.

Could it be a thyroid issue that's making you so tired? Have you ever had it checked? Hypothyroidism is very common in women. I once dozed off during a root canal. Then again, if you're losing so much blood make sure you keep up fluids and iron levels, that might be what's making you so tired, low iron. I don't eat meat but I'm a lazy veggie so I take iron supplements. If I don't I get tired and vague. Iron supplements can make you constipated though so make sure you're doing what you can to counteract that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes!

I had implanon for 8 years before having kids. Post kids it was one endless period. My GP gave me the pill to take in conjunction with it for a couple of months to see if that fixed things but it did not. So I had it taken out.

We are using the withdrawal method now (but we are open to a third so if this fails we will not be particularly bothered). Once we decide fully on a third or not DH is going to get the snip.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Muffet View Post
    Those that had it removed, what did you replace it with?
    I chose implanon because it was cheap and I didn't have to remember daily pills ect.
    Honestly, condoms. Anything hormonal sent me bat**** crazy and id never remember the pill.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for replying. I went back to gp and explained I can't handle this. He booked me in to have it removed tomorrow.

i am thinking about getting that one that is inserted in the uterus? Don't know much about it. Any experiences on this would be of help. TIA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got told that implanon and depo are similar, if you react to one like that then chances are u will react the same to the other. I had mine for 6 months after my first Depo shot, needless to say I didnt get it again and it crossed implanon off my list. It was horrible I was so sluggish and depressed.

mother to a beautiful baby boy