+ Reply to Thread

Default Extremely Clingy Almost 2 Year Old

I have an almost 2 year old who used to be a good sleeper and is now extremely clingy!

She used to sleep all through the night and then she had a really bad cold and was extremely clingy so I ended up needing to sleep in her room while she was unwell and now she won't go to sleep unless I am in there sleeping with her. She will then wake up in the middle of the night, and then again around 3-5ish in the morning.

She is not the sort of kid who will protest cry - she gets hysterical and then sobs in her sleep so I don't find letting her cry effective so I am open to any suggestions others may have of getting her to feel secure and to sleep through the night.

Her bedtime routine is bath or shower, a little bit of a chill, teeth, drink then story in bed which has been the norm all along, and she has a comforter she sleeps with at night.

Thanks in advance!

My kids went through this a couple of times so I would sit quietly on the floor in the dark next to their cot/beds until they were asleep. I wouldn't engage in any talking, just an occasional sssshhhh if needed.

The next time I would sit a bit further away and over the next couple of nights move further and further away from their beds and inch away as they were almost asleep.

After a couple of nights they would get used to sleeping on their own again.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    It's the age. Separation anxiety can peak (again!) around the 2nd birthday. My 23 month old is shocking atm. I feel your pain!