+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm currently sitting on the couch with tea tree and baby oil in my hair.

My 8 year old DD had them - again so I'm treating everyone. I can't seem to break the cycle.

I've tried Nitwits and all the other stuff and I'm still going. I'm trying home remedies now. I even bought Kero yesterday!

Stupid head lice.

Me 👩 36; DF 👨 34
    DS 🐢 07/02/97
    DD 🐝 27/09/99
    DS 🐳 26/04/02
    DD 🐞 06/09/06
    DD 🐣 Due 03/12/14

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When DD1 was in pre-primary (turning 6 that year) I started finding nits to be a
    major problem. If you use the same nit killer lotion too many times it becomes less effective. So every few days I would spray her hair in a tea tree oil & water combo and brush through with a nit comb.

I think at that age the kids love cuddling and being physically close to each other. Now that she's turning 8 soon I'm finding it less as a problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    http://health.vic.gov.au/headlice/

This link explains the life cycle of Head lice which I believe is important to understanding how best to treat them. It also discusses resistance.

The conditioner method works really well IF it is done properly. It must be done every second day for 10 days.

There seem to be lots of 'wives tales' methods involving conditioner such as leaving it on for 24 hours etc. All it does is immobilise the lice and make them easy to remove. Ditto things like olive oil.

I have a pump pack of Wella 'Shine' conditioner just for nit checking. It's cheap and super slippery. I check every time the dreaded note comes home (or I need to hand it out to my own class - eek!). I repeat every second day for 10 days if I even find one bug and also check along the nape and behind ears for eggs, if I find them I squash between my thumbnails until I feel them pop.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

vue  (17-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used the ban lice moose yesterday. It seems to have killed all the lice but DD is still itching this morning. Is that normal? I've combed through her hair and can't any bugs just a few eggs still. Do I treat again or wait till the eggs hatch? Can I send her to kindy tomorrow if she is itchy but no bugs?

Thanks
    Reviews
    You should remove the eggs before they hatch. Learning about the life cycle helped with this too I think. I got head lice a couple of years ago as an adult due to tutoring kids after school who would run up to me and sit too close/try to hug me. I have extremely thick, very long, curly hair. (I never wore my hair out around kids after that...) This is what I did the first day:
    1. Wash my hair and then run a nit treatment through it and repeat a week later (I used kp24)
    2. Cover my hair in conditioner and comb through every section of my hair removing as many eggs as I could find. A friend helped me as well. If we couldn't physically pull off the egg we would yank out the strand of hair or cut it out.
    3. Rinse out that conditioner and blow dry my hair
    4. Straighten my hair so every strand had the iron pass over it (I've read that they don't like heat, at all).
    5. Then for any eggs that might have missed and would possibly hatch that night, I would cover my hair in olive oil and wrap the hair in glad wrap and a towel and sleep in that.
    6. The next morning before work would comb out the olive oil again, to remove any live lice, then quickly rinse my hair and dry it and go to work.
    7. Then that night I would repeat the process by combing through with condutioner, removing eggs, drying and straightening, olive oil.

I did this every day for about a week until I could find no more eggs or lice.

This much work would be very hard to do with a 6 or 8 year old, but seriously the amount of eggs in my hair was incredible and apart from my friend helping me once, I had to be completely thorough as I was on my own and needed to make sure I hadn't missed any. They were completely gone in a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by new mum 15809 View Post
    I used the ban lice moose yesterday. It seems to have killed all the lice but DD is still itching this morning. Is that normal? I've combed through her hair and can't any bugs just a few eggs still. Do I treat again or wait till the eggs hatch? Can I send her to kindy tomorrow if she is itchy but no bugs?
    It is normal. Comb daily with conditioner and ban lice in 7 days. It is quite harsh but it always does the job

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by new mum 15809 View Post
    Also add some apple cider vinegar or tea tree oil to the shampoo and also spray hair before school with hair spray to stop nits even attaching

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app