+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default What is the difference between caseload and shared care with a midwife?

I'm looking at the options for pregnancy care with the Women Royal Hospital.

They offer a case load option (very popular though so hard to get into).

I wonder if I should try and go into that or just do shared care with a mid wife. I struggle to see the differences though... Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    hey Thanks for the long reply meredithgrey

I'm confused about what you said about shared care. From what I read on the RWH website it's when you choose a GP or a midwife to do most of your antenatal appointments. So you do get to see the same person all along your pregnancy...

I just don't get the difference between seeing the same MW through shared care or seeing the same MW through case load...

I guess case load is free, I'll wait forever in hospital before appointments but my MW would be at the birth.

While in shared care I'll have to pay the MW, I wouldn't waste time in waiting rooms but she wouldn't be at the birth...

Is that a fair summary?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks heaps for the advice

I'm really worried about time of the appointments and potential waiting. I don't know I assume appointments would be between 10am and 4pm...
    But better check with the hospital!

I wonder how I could get some feedback of women that used case load. It sounds very appealing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    That makes a lot of sense!

I was trying to understand how thy could organize it (ie. assign just enough pregnant women to each MW and time it well so they are not over burdened) but it makes my head hurts.

Anyway it's good to know that when they do antenatal appointments that's "all" they do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm going through a midwifery group practice and from what meredithgrey has said it sounds like caseload is the same.

So I have my own midwife which I was allocated to at 20 weeks and my first appointment with her was at 23/24 weeks. My appointments were monthly and are currently fortnightly as I get closer.

We arrange appointments for a time that works for both of us and she will either see me at the birth centre or at home. She's happy to do weekends too when she is rostered on. Appointments are usually around 45-60 minutes and I don't wait because she is ready for me when I get in, it's not at all like a clinic where you need to sit and wait until you get called in.

I have found it great because I have been able to get to know her, I can call her for any concerns and she gives me advice over the phone or she will ask me to come in so she can check me over and give me peace of mind. I have a backup midwife which will attend to me if my midwife is off for the day.

I've liked the fact that I have 1 person that knows me and knows my history so when I go into labour everyone in the room knows what page we're on. I'd recommend doing it.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (16-09-2014),meredithgreyxxx  (16-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    @ExcuseMyFrench

I did shared care with a private midwife and it was the best thing ever! Got to choose my own midwife obviously so interviewed a couple to get the right one. All of my appointment apart from two were at home after hours so my husband was also home. Had two appointments at the Royal Women's - the booking in one and then another around 35 weeks.

The midwife attends the birth with you as well if you would like. They don't have clinical rights there so can't deliver it (although the private midwives are working on changing this!).

They can also do all your post natal appointments at home, which mine did.

Lots of it is covered by Medicare. I would say we were $2.5k out of pocket including at least 8 post natal visits. Well worth it but not free of course.

I used Mamatoto Midwives and highly recommend Juliana
    Last edited by kw123; 16-09-2014 at 06:43.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (16-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks @Pearlygirl and @kw123

That was also one of my concern... How do you chose your MW if you go shared care... It's good to have a rec! I'll look Julianna up and give her a call later.

Money is not an issue as my preference would have been to go private which means $3k OOP with an OB.
    But my EDD is 2 weeks inside the 12 mths waiting period with PHI for obstetrics...

So change of plans!!
    I'd be very happy to be followed by a MW but was less than impressed with the care my friends received post birth at RWH.
    So I'll ask to be discharged ASAP and will pay for daily MW home visits.

that's the plan anyway

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Congrats Frenchie!!!! Didn't know you were pregnant.

Yes I left the Women's after 23 hours. They did let my DH stay overnight in my double bed though (private room) which was a lifesaver.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another vote for Juliana here. She's fabulous.

Sent from my D6503 using The Bub Hub mobile app

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @Moxy!

She also does a nice calm birth weekend at her place in the Yarra Valley if you wanted to look at that.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post: