+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Overweight and pregnant. Maintaining or losing weight. Safe?

I am overweight and 6 weeks pregnant. Weight so far is the same. My bim is 31, which puts me in the obese category. I am 83 kilos and 163 cm.

I was just starting to lose weight and exercise when I fell pregnant. I am 7 kilos heavier than when I fell pregnant with my first and at that point I was 10 kilos overweight too.

anyway, I will be asking the doctor this but has anyone actually maintained their weight and or lost weight while being pregnant? I just thought I might seize the opportunity to whip my eating habits into shape once and for all.

is this just silly?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I'm overweight too. Bmi is 36.

When I first fell pregnant I lost weight due to morning sickness. I've tried to eat fairly healthy during my pregnancy and have managed to only gain 3.5kgs (I am 39weeks tomorrow). I'd try to eat healthy but not go crazy dieting.

Congrats on your pregnancy and good luck with trying to maintain your weight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations on your pregnancy! I have no first hand experience but know 2 people who have lost weight while pregnant.

My sister was 12kg lighter the week after she had bub then when she just before falling pregnant - she wasn't trying to loose weight it just happened.

I also know a lady who lost 20kg during her pregnancy with the help of a dietician and the guidance of her ob, she felt amazing.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just really looked after myself and only gained 6kg my pregnancy. When I got home from hospital 2 days later I was 16kg lighter so 10kg less the when I got pregnant. Just keep eating well and exercising when you can and don't fall into the trap of 'eating for two'. Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks for the advice ladies. I am thinking a dietitian might be a good start.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both pregnancies I have lost weight.. First one I lost 7 kg before bub was born. Second I lost 5 kg. I ate normal meals but did have bouts of morning sickness and bad heartburn

Thanks
    Reviews
    During pregnancy my appetite changes and I don't seem to crave as much sweet stuff plus i don't eat emotionally. I thought because of this, it might be a good opportunity to address some bad habits!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been told to maintain. And so far have managed it. 16 weeks in anyway. I was referred to a dietitian who basically told me to keep up with what I've been doing as in his food choices most of the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am also overweight - BMI was 36 pre-pregnancy. I am 16+6 and I am still 2kg down from my pre-preg weight. I spoke to my ob about it and she said that it is fine that I am still losing weight at this stage I have been recommended to aim to gain only 5kg all up so I feel like I am on track for that at nearly half way and still under my start weight

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Tamz, I have the same bmi and was told that a gain of 8-10kgs was acceptable. Guess all hospitals/obs are different though. 5kgs does seem a little unreasonable to me though. If you think about it, the baby will weigh 3-4kgs and then there is the placenta, your uterus, extra fluid. Don't feel bad if you gain more than 5kgs.