+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmumm View Post
    Yeah I didn't have an sharp pain just ache and heaviness which got worse after doing anything more strenuous than a stroll with the pram.
    One dr said I had grade 1 from both sides, another said grade 3. Not sure if it got worse in the months between or just dependant on the examiner....either way mine was affecting my way of life enough to warrant more invasive treatment. Some ladies here on the hub have prolapses that sound like they dropped further than mine but weren't causing them issues, so it's an individual thing I guess.
    Check with your local hospital too...some big ones have pelvic floor units attached so could perhaps get in there? I saw my local one to be told "you are in your 30s live with a bit longer before considering surgery" but I felt that I couldn't live my life as I was meant too as I'd become the mum who sat on the bench at the park and didn't join in etc for fear of accidents and achiness, next drs said "you are in your 30s this is no way to live we can fix this" and I was finished having kids too.
    So again, up to the individual. Look at all your options after asking questions.
    Wow that was a big difference in opinion! Yeah i don't have pain either but I can feel a heaviness and I don't want to exercise. I had to lift some boxes today and I can see why they say no lifting!
    I dread being told to live with it, I mean I *could* live with it because it's not painful but I won't want to!

So what was the outcome for you @Mmumm? Surgery I guess? What was that like and how has your recovery been?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had vaginal repair surgery about 10 weeks ago and I'm so glad I did. All that heavy weird feeling has gone, I'm 4kg lighter as I've been exercising lightly, slowly getting some fitness back..with none of the side effects I used to have.
    My recovery was painful for a few weeks but I had my episiotomy redone so I'm sure that was the pain, the internal wall stitches were just achey like period pain. Hope your appt goes well x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes! I had my fourth baby 11 weeks ago and after about 3 weeks I realised something didn't feel right; I had a dragging sensation and it felt like there was something in the vagina that just shouldn't be there! I was terrified as my sister had a prolapse repaired by surgery last year and I know how bad things were for her and I so didn't want to go through this.

I managed to get into a pelvic floor physio 5 weeks post-partum and it was the best thing I could have done. She diagnosed a stage 3 prolapse of the bladder and a stage 1 prolapse of the bowel. Yes, she did have to put her fingers into the vagina to diagnose which was uncomfortable but not really painful, and she checked my muscle strength by having me do my exercises with her fingers in there and guided me as to where I should be squeezing!The physio gave me a schedule of exercises to do and also a list of what not to do and avoid – no vacuuming, no ironing, no lifting anything but the baby, no sweeping or mopping etc. I have tried to follow this as much as I can – with housework I have gone from doing it every day to now just doing it when absolutely necessary. I have also stopped picking up my two and a half year old and got him a step for the toilet so I am no longer lifting him on and off. The improvement in 5 short weeks has been amazing. I hardly notice it now – only really when I lift something heavy or put the bins out when my husband is away, but I no longer feel it all the time which is a huge relief. When I saw my OB for my six week check and she said that things usually improve once your period comes back and you stop breast-feeding. She also told me to see a physio which I was already doing so it pays to be proactive. So OP, I think you mentioned your baby is 5 months old? – so it should improve over the next few months anyway.
    Fingers crossed that you can get your right OP without surgery.

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...ces&highlight=

I posted my experiences in this thread.
    Rather than repeat myself, have a read through it. I had a bladder prolapse, repair and sling surgery.

Long story short i found a lump and was told i had the early stages of prolapse. I was peeing myself every day, sometimes just walking around..forget sneezing or running, it was terrible. I had a 'sling surgery', a vag repair and it was honestly the best ting ive ever done.

I can run, jump, sneeze, cough even jump on the trampoline...i have my life back!!

I know its not the same as what your experiencing but it will give you an idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Gothel, in answer to your question, a rectocele is still a prolapse, however it's a posterior prolapse, so basically it's the front wall of your rectum bulging out. I am another with a rectocele prolapse which is quite severe, and typically with rectocele, it's not painful but the bulge interferes with so much of day to day life. I won't write too much here, as it's a lot of TMI, but happy to pm.

With me, I have been prescribed the Ovestin cream as an interim thing, and I have heard it can help make things seem a bit more bearable, but I won't use it as I am terrified of getting cancer as a result of using hormones etc. I will need surgical repair etc, but I need to sort out other more urgent health concerns before I get the prolapse seen to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Only getting back to this thread now, I've been to the gynae and it's a stage 2-3 uterine prolapse, with lesser front and back wall prolapses. Basically my vjj has totally collapsed 0.0 great! At first the gyn said try exercises and come back and see me in a few months But I rang him back yesterday and said I can't live with it, it's too uncomfortable, so I'm going back on Tuesday to discuss an op.

One treatment I haven't seen discussed here is a chair that the gynae uses, it's magnetic and stimulates the pelvic floor to contract. He said a few sessions should strengthen the area up (it's quite an ummmm interesting sensation lol). Neotoner I think it's called. Might be similar to the kegel8 mentioned in one of the linked threads. I've had two sessions so far and don't see a n improvement but he says it helps 4/5 women.

@loislane2010 Thank you for linking that thread, there's heaps of info and experiences in there! How are you going now? Can I ask about the sling surgery, is that where they suspend the bladder/uterus again? Or as the gynae so delicately put it,"hoist it up"? Have you had any after effects from that? I feel a bit weird about having something inserted permanently iukwim but I guess there's no real alternative. The gynae talked about a mesh as well, which sounds a bit worse, between 1 in 10 and 1 in 20 have complications from the mesh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] Uniquey View Post
    Gothel, in answer to your question, a rectocele is still a prolapse, however it's a posterior prolapse, so basically it's the front wall of your rectum bulging out. I am another with a rectocele prolapse which is quite severe, and typically with rectocele, it's not painful but the bulge interferes with so much of day to day life. I won't write too much here, as it's a lot of TMI, but happy to pm.

With me, I have been prescribed the Ovestin cream as an interim thing, and I have heard it can help make things seem a bit more bearable, but I won't use it as I am terrified of getting cancer as a result of using hormones etc. I will need surgical repair etc, but I need to sort out other more urgent health concerns before I get the prolapse seen to.
    Oh you poor thing I can imagine, you don't need to spell it out I'm avoiding my own TMI stories as well. There is a major fundamental flaw in the female anatomy if we have to deal with these consequences of childbirth. I'm glad I'm not religious or I'd be pretty mad with God right now because something definitely went wrong with the design process! !!

So you haven't used the cream then? What about a pessary, would that be a option for you? I'm going to talk to the gynae about getting one in just to give me some relief until surgery. He said it's not a long term thing unless you're an old lady of 70 or 80 but it can be a good temporary fix for younger women.

Oh dear this is just NOT a dignified process at all

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've got one... My gp said to wait until we have finished having kids as I will most likely need surgery. I need to get a referral to a gyno to discuss it further.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothel View Post
    Only getting back to this thread now, I've been to the gynae and it's a stage 2-3 uterine prolapse, with lesser front and back wall prolapses. Basically my vjj has totally collapsed 0.0 great! At first the gyn said try exercises and come back and see me in a few months But I rang him back yesterday and said I can't live with it, it's too uncomfortable, so I'm going back on Tuesday to discuss an op.

One treatment I haven't seen discussed here is a chair that the gynae uses, it's magnetic and stimulates the pelvic floor to contract. He said a few sessions should strengthen the area up (it's quite an ummmm interesting sensation lol). Neotoner I think it's called. Might be similar to the kegel8 mentioned in one of the linked threads. I've had two sessions so far and don't see a n improvement but he says it helps 4/5 women.

@loislane2010 Thank you for linking that thread, there's heaps of info and experiences in there! How are you going now? Can I ask about the sling surgery, is that where they suspend the bladder/uterus again? Or as the gynae so delicately put it,"hoist it up"? Have you had any after effects from that? I feel a bit weird about having something inserted permanently iukwim but I guess there's no real alternative. The gynae talked about a mesh as well, which sounds a bit worse, between 1 in 10 and 1 in 20 have complications from the mesh.
    Just over a year later and im pleased to say all is great. No complications, pain, infections or anything. Ive joined a roller derby team, so pretty high impact sport, and no dramas what so ever.
    The sling is holding the urethra up rather than the mesh that holds the entire bladder up. Not sure though if a more advanced prolapse would require a mesh rather than a sling.
    It was literally the best thing i ever did...i would do it again in a heart beat. I got my life back. Like i mentioned in my other thread, i couldnt even walk briskly without peeing myself. I was like an 80 year old woman and i was only 29!! I hope this answers your questions. If you wana know anything else just ask!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow great to get an update