+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post
    Does anyone know, you have to be having a contraction while they do the epi, or can they try and do it in between to lower the risk of moving and them putting it in wrong?
    My contractions were just a couple of minutes apart and we had to stop the procedure while I was having one... I guess the anaesthetist can technically continue to administer the epi during one, but I do remember pausing a couple of times as contractions hit.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was told I needed one to stop me pushing. By the time it was about to go in I was yelling "just stick the bloody thing in!!" So you might get over the needle thing when the time comes

As it happened, they checked dilation before they put the needle in and I was 10 cm so the epi was canceled and I had to push. All up I was in active labour for 4 hours so my beautifully relaxed birth plan went out the window and the whole thing was go go go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did with all 3. I would have loved to go natural but I just couldn't tolerate anyore pain due to induction (esp with no1).

Gas didn't cut it and hated pethidine.

Best one I had was no3.... I had a minimal dose to begin with, so that I didn't feel pain but wasn't totally numb. I had a button thingy that allowed me to self administer as needed up until a certain dosage within a set period of time.

It was brilliant. I felt everything but had no pain. Baby coming out of the birth canal just felt uncomfortable, kind of like someone was rubbing against me in an unpleasant way.

Highly recommend it, don't be scared about the needle, best not to even think about it, just focus on contractions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post
    Does anyone know, you have to be having a contraction while they do the epi, or can they try and do it in between to lower the risk of moving and them putting it in wrong?
    Between contractions.

You tell them if you're getting one and they stop and wait till it's over.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one after holding out though 40 odd hours of labour. By the time they gave it to me I was close to pushing and I think they only gave me a minimal amount of drugs. Unfortunately, that meant that I got almost zero pain relief from it. This birth I'm walking into the hospital yelling "epidural me"!!! - I still have nightmares about how much labour hurt (although mine had a few issues and was far from a 'normal birth', I'm sure you will be awesome!). The idea of being relaxed and not frightened and out of control this time around is very appealing.
    Good luck OP...it's a very individual decision, but remember no matter what you decide, be flexible on the day as circumstances can always change.
    Xx
    Last edited by Silver flute; 15-09-2014 at 17:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one before an induction. The local didn't hurt - as much or less than the sting of a blood sample being taken. I didn't feel the epidural being placed. It worked so well. I could walk around, go to the toilet unassisted. I was aware if the contractions, but they weren't painful. My blood pressure was maintained in a healthy range (a concern as I had hypertension). I felt all of the pushing stage. I walked back to the ward after having baby, no catheters etc.

Once the epidural is in place and they know it is working, you work with the doctor and midwife to determine how often and how much (big, medium, low dose) for the medication top ups.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    No x6

A big scary needle in back is just too scary for me.
    I have been very close to it twice but given birth before the could do it. One for a c/section that didn't happen the other is a very long story after 30 hour Labour and I was exhausted. Once again he was born before they could do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Had it with my first. At the time seemed like the best option for me and I am so glad I got it especially it was a forcep delivery (maybe because of the epi) but it took all the pain away. I was induced and the pain was unbearable.
    I didn't have it with my second. And my second birth was far more enjoyable than my first. Was bearable and I can feel what was going on during the pushing stage. Healed a lot faster.
    And the needle at the back honestly was probably more painful than my contraction! Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one with my first. It was fine in terms of pain of needle - didn't even feel it!

I do regret it - I wish I had tried further without one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one after 24 ish hours of labour. It was brilliant for the first 6 hours of epidural and then the needle moved slightly or came out a bit or something and only one side was numb. Because I had the epidural in they'd cranked up the syntocin drip to the maximum so it hurt like HELL! I was rushed for an emergency c-sect with a 2nd set of anesthetic of some kind (not a general) but the epidural and other drugs sent me into shock.
    I don't mean to scare you!!!
    Just need to be mindful that things dont always go according to plan! I have a beautiful healthy boy though!