+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, I did. Always thought I would probably end up having one but went in with an open mind. I ended up being induced as my waters broke at 37 weeks. Contractions didn't start on their own without the drip. I was worried about getting one too soon incase it slowed things down. I only lasted 45 mins before asking for one and my DS was born 90 mins later, so pretty quick and very painful! (The labour not the epidural). No regrets, would do it again in a heartbeat. Good luck with your choice. x
    Last edited by TeamCarts; 15-09-2014 at 15:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had one & would get one again. I have a low pain tolerance & I was already in a lot of pain from back labour early on so I know it was the best option for me.

I felt the needle they used to give me the local anesthetic but it really wasnt that bad, just a very slight sting from memory & it was nothing compared to the labour pain. Honestly the hardest part of having an epi was sitting still through a contraction while they put it in

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one with my son and loved it! I had been in labour for 2 days already and was in absolute agony and exhausted. Once I had the epi DF and I slept for 4 hours and were woken when it was time to push. I pushed for almost 3 hours and didn't feel a thing.
    I didn't have one with DD but it was a completely different. I could birth her every single day. If she was my first I would wonder why people say labour hurts and is so bad.
    You don't have to make a decision now but I wouldn't rule out having one. You have no idea how you will feel until you go through labour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one but it was too late for it to work before it was time to push.
    I agree the most painful part is sitting still during contractions.
    I wish mine had worked! I didn't go in with a birth plan. I decided to follow my gut.

I've heard people say they are horrible and others say they are great.
    Needles have never bothered me and I think with the pains of contractions u won't feel the needles that much.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've had two. Worked perfectly, no regrets. No further intervention, zero pain whilst pushing, just enough to feel the tightening with each contraction and the definite urge to push. No stitches.
    Just the idea itself that an epidural was available for me if required was almost enough to get me through to end of my last labour drug free! Knowing I had total control and could "end the pain" at any stage kept me focused and calm, but after being induced and enduring 45 hours of stop start labour, the epidural at the end was absolute bliss!
    ETA: as for the fear of the needle, that didn't even bother me as the contractions at that stage far outweigh that.. I can't even recall any pain with having it administered.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 15-09-2014 at 15:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one. Super quick to put in, felt a quick sting from the local, then nothing. Unfortunately I had a patch where it didn't work so could still feel contractions - they were going to get the anaesthetist back to fix it, but things progressed really quickly & it was too late. I don't regret having one at all, even though I could still feel contractions they were manageable & I was numb in my " lady bits" so didn't feel the epi or stitches. If I have another baby I will plan on getting an epidural again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Does anyone know, you have to be having a contraction while they do the epi, or can they try and do it in between to lower the risk of moving and them putting it in wrong?

Thanks
    Reviews
    They did mine in between contractions, but I had to be in position (sitting) during a contraction so they could put it in as soon as it finished if that makes sense?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had to be sitting hunched over to put in in. That was by far the worst bit. I didn't feel them put it in at all. From memory it was put in during a contraction.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wanted one but by the time they checked me I was too far gone! My ob told me that if we have another to ask for it as soon as I'm admitted lol.

I don't have a fear of needles, but as it's going in your back you wouldn't have to look at it anyways