+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Thumbs up Epidural...did you have one?

Hi ladies,

I'm 25 weeks and my midwife wants me to start thinking about birthing plans and options.
    I'm pretty sure I want to get an Epidural if I can. I'm just wondering if anyone else is perhaps going to get one or have had them before?
    I know that they're safe for the baby but I'm still nervous about a large needle going into my back.

Ash x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had one with my daughter. I was scared about the needle in the back but it was seriously so quick, a local which was just a sting, than the big needle which I couldn't feel. It was worth it for me, I had been in labour for 33 hours and was just exhausted, I needed a break and it gave me that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    Hey Ash. I had one. I hadn't planned on it but I also hadn't planned on not. I was just going to do what I felt like.

I was doing great but was told the baby wasn't in the right position. I had a fever and babies heart rate was really high so they were warning me about an emergency section. I had the epidural because if it came to needing a section I really wanted to be awake for my babies birth.

It was amazing for pain relief. No regrets.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one after being dead set against it, in the lead up I was terrified that I would need one. When the time came and I needed it I didn't think twice! No regrets here either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I had one with my DD after initially not wanting one. Not because I was against drugs, or wanted a 'natural' birth, but like you the idea of the needle scared the bejezus out of me!

Ill be getting one again this time that's for sure!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had one.. was scared of the back needle but seriously was no more painful than any other needles I have had.
    I loved it and will opt for it second time. My birth was so relaxing because of it. I had hardly any pain at all. Non from epidural and beyond.. was amazing for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My story is a bit different.

I had a fear of the needle. I'm like that with any needles so the thought of one in my back absolutely terrified me.

I managed to give birth without needing one, but unfortunately had to have a manual removal of the placenta which left me no option but to get one.

It honestly wasn't anywhere near as bad as what I had in my head. I did have a great nurse talking me through it while they did it though.

As a PP mentioned it really is only the small sting of the local that you feel.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hate needles so was sure I wouldn't want an epidural. But when the time came DD was posterior, labour wasn't progressing (it took 36 hours!) and I reached the point where I simply could not keep going and begged for an epidural. I didn't feel the needle going in at all. Not even a pinch, nothing. I think its because I was in so much pain already, and the pain was constant - it didn't ebb and flow with contractions.

The relief from the epidural was truly amazing. You don't need to make the decision now. Try to keep an open mind and see how things progress.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't want to get one but I ended up having one after 15 hours of labour. It's a good thing too because bub ended up going posterior and if the epidural hadn't been in, I would have been sent for a c section. So it worked well for me.

Next labour, I'd just get one straight up, I think. I'm no martyr, the pain relief option is there, so why not.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    No way. I thought about it but wouldve regretted it if I had. My labour wouldve gone a LOT longer if I hadnt been able to get on my knees.

mother to a beautiful baby boy