+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 8w since LMP but ultrasound measuring 6w

I am so confused.
    My LMP was around 20 July. I had a positive HPT on 22 August. I had a dating scan the next week when I would have been about 5 weeks, and they couldn't see anything - not even the sac.
    Had another scan ten days ago, which put me at 5w3d. There was a sac and the yolk but no heartbeat.
    I've just had another scan, and after ten days, this time they're saying I'm 6w1d, it was measuring around 4mm, there was a heartbeat - but by my dates, if the first day of my LMP was July 20, I should be 8w1d.

It's just not possible that I'm only 6 weeks. If that's true then wouldn't I have only conceived a few days before the positive test?? Plus, my original dates match up with when we DTD, we didn't do anything around when these new dates are saying I should have conceived.

I'm so confused. I'm hopefully seeing a doctor today who can help but I'm freaking out. It's just not possible that I'm only 6 weeks now, and why would I have been measuring over 5 weeks ten days ago?? Is there something developmentally that could be going wrong?

Ultrasound techs use the LMP when determining how many weeks you are, right? So she wouldn't have been meaning, gestational age, 6 weeks…

HELP

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My first pregnancy my dates were completely out thanks to stopping the pill, but once the sac was measurable, growth was on track with each following scan.

My third pregnancy I had bleeding from early on, my levels were not rising properly and my little one was growing very, very slowly. At what would have been 8.5 weeks there was a sac measuring 5w and no measurable pole yet. There was no way I was only 5 weeks, I'd got my 1st positive HPT 5 weeks prior and sadly I miscarried a few days later.

During that pregnancy I had 5 weeks to do lots of googling and there were some happy ending stories of babies who were just slow to start but then caught up later in pregnancy. Hopefully this is the case with you, unfortunately only time will tell and the wait is excruciating!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your post Stretched - I'm very sorry to hear about your third little one.
    I saw the heartbeat today, and the woman said that for 6 weeks the heartbeat of 111bpm was normal. I just can't accept this, though. If I'm 6 weeks, that means I had a positive pregnancy test just over a week from conception. If it wasn't for this fact id probably just think okay well maybe I just conceived later than I originally though from my dates. Also, the fact that 10 days ago I was measuring over 5 weeks, now they say right on 6 weeks.

I just have a terrible feeling, and I'm a mess, I can't concentrate at work and I just want to know one way or the other. You're right, it's the waiting that is so excruciating, I just don't know how to continue functioning.

What's making it harder, for me, is that this was a completely unplanned and at the start, unwanted pregnancy. I've fallen in and out of feeling used to the idea of another baby, and just feel like I can't take the emotional ups and downs anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Big hugs. The not knowing either way is horrible. Just try to stay busy and wait and see what the next scan shows.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi.
    It's so hard isn't it.
    I hope the scan was not accurate in your case.
    In my experience, I went for a scan at when I was supposed to be 8 w
    It was 6w in size with a hb.
    Unfortunately I mc that one a week later.
    What happens unfortunately is that a hb forms but your body picks up that chromosomes aren't correct so the fetus stops growing but stays alive.
    So infact my fetus had a hb for 3 weeks.
    I was told the hb, if the baby isn't meant to be, goes down about 10bpm per day.
    Keep positive. xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    With my first I also went for a dating scan at what I thought was 8 weeks but turned out to be 6w1d. They did a transvaginal ultrasound for that one and everything measured fine from then on. I didn't know much about anything pregnancy related so I just went with the flow but I think I'm just destined to have unexplained baby dates because it happened the second time around too.

With #2 (due next Jan), I had almost the exact same experience as you. I knew the exact date of my LMP and I was pretty sure of my cycle length - I took a test quite early on too. I went for my scan at what I thought was 7w1d; they found nothing but a sac and yolk and estimated I was 5w3d. Naturally, I freaked. Second scan almost 10 days later found a little bean measuring 6w1d and a heartbeat. WTF?

I'm 21 weeks now and the dates are pretty consistent, although bub tends to measure below average for most things. Maybe I just have small babies?

I still can't really make much sense of the numbers even now but the dates they give you at ultrasounds are all estimates based on averages. It is possible to test positive quite early on too, depending on the test you use and how sensitive it is. Or maybe your cycle was different this one time! They pretty much throw out LMP as a date when they figure out your 'real' date from the ultrasound measurements.

I know it's hard to stay positive and the waiting and not knowing is atrocious (and I'm being a horrible hypocrite because when I had to wait between tests everyone was telling me that everything would be fine and I was all *STRESSSSSSSSSSSSS*) but time does march on as usual and you will have answers. And even if you don't have answers and everything's progressing fine, you'll find something else to stress about.