+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ours was £200 since we're currently in the UK. I could have tried to get it diagnosed through the NHS and have it done for free but that meant waiting weeks and I wanted to do whatever possible to try to keep breastfeeding. We had two osteo sessions as well which were £60 each.

Why are they saying you need osteo (or did you say physio) sessions as well? Our osteo sessions weren't for his tongue but to try and get him to open his mouth wider. I'm not sure if they worked, maybe the first one helped but I don't think the second did anything. His mouth started opening wider as he got older and it was just bigger .

Eta: the LC gave us tongue exercises to do with him to encourage him to stick his tongue out more. Basically just sticking our tongue out at him and encouraging him to mimic.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 16-09-2014 at 18:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They are recommending osteo for the same reason - to try & get him to open his mouth wider. We had one session & I havent really noticed any difference

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Maybe just do the tie for now, you can say no to the osteo if cost is an issue.

The reason we had osteo was because he had a vacuum delivery and you could tell it was kind of like he had whiplash, he automatically flipped to one side to sleep, couldn't latch properly on my right side, etc. the first session helped straight away, you could tell he could turn his head more, his arms and shoulders relaxed and it slightly helped with the right side but I didn't notice anything with the second and felt it wasn't really worth continuing, that we'd see how we got on before shelling out more money.

By 8 weeks he's was just bigger and could open his mouth more, I don't think more osteo would have changed that. I'm really grateful to two girlfriends that told me that sometimes the first 8 weeks feeding are really hard and that it gets easier when they're a bit older, they lowered my expectations and gave me a goal to reach and they ended up being right. I know your DS is 10 weeks though.... I would just start with the snip and go from there.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 16-09-2014 at 19:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A couple of girls in my mothers group had their babie's TT lasered (in Perth) by a paediatric dentist - they said it was about $500 but most was rebated by their PHI. Apparently there's only 1 guy in WA who does it, maybe there is someone similar in your city that would be covered?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I remember you are in Brisbane? I travelled to see Dr Fairweather in Victoria point. She is a GP but used to be a paediatric registrar. She is fantastic. Doesn't take new patients but will take tongue tie assessments and snip. It cost $150 but I got back most of that through Medicare. My excellent lactation consultant recommended her. I was very happy with her and the result. Good luck and pls pm me if you need any more help

Thanks
    Reviews
    You'll probs find that until you snip/laser the tt, you won't notice a difference with the osteo. The ptt really tighten the jaw and neck area. My dd couldn't move her head to the right, once ptt was finally lasered (after 2 scissor attempts and 5 osteo sessions) we did 3 chiro sessions, her neck, jaw and palate have loosened up.

scissor revisions are fine if you can't afford the laser, but be aware that they can only go so deep with scissors whereas laser can go layer by layer. This means they may not remove all the ptt. Scissors can't totally remove a class iii or iv upper lip tie as well.

Have you flipped the lip? Does it look like an ult, most go hand in hand with ptt?

If you do go to Russell medical, ask to see terry himself. We had a lady who didnt take all dd ptt out. Terry cut my DS and he did a great job.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @heartstringz I just remembered that when they did dd they had to put her through an assessment and her score had to be a certain number to be able to be snipped it's all in her blue book I will have a look...
    It says hazel baker score assessment done
    Scores were function 7/11
    Appearance 5/7
    Nipple damage+++
    Not sure if this helps but I'm guessing they won't do it anyway if it's not needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also my dd is ff and I'm 4 weeks post laser revision and I'm only just starting to see improvements. She had laser at 10.5 weeks. She's still dribbling milk from side of mouth but not every feed, her gag reflex is much, much better, her lip flanged straight away after revision of her ult. her wind and spewing up feeds has also improved greatly.

just letting you know that it may take a little while post revision to see results OR your lo may be "cured" straight away.

DD still has a very weak suck which I'm working with her on with suck training exercises.

Also post revision, you really need to keep up the stretches to ensure the ties don't band back together. Russell med dont give much info on exercises, i dont think they believe in them but you can u tube them from dr k.o.t.l.o.w.
    Last edited by adeline14; 17-09-2014 at 05:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippytoes View Post
    I think I remember you are in Brisbane? I travelled to see Dr Fairweather in Victoria point. She is a GP but used to be a paediatric registrar. She is fantastic. Doesn't take new patients but will take tongue tie assessments and snip. It cost $150 but I got back most of that through Medicare. My excellent lactation consultant recommended her. I was very happy with her and the result. Good luck and pls pm me if you need any more help
    I'm glad you posted this as I was going to suggest trying to find a GP who does paediatrics as a more cost-effective option. I know the laser is very expensive, I would not have been able to justify that sort of cost.

I agree to pause on the osteo and prioritise getting the PTT treated if cost is an issue. I'm not anti-osteo, my SIL is one and she a a-maz-ing! I just know that I managed to greatly improve DS's mouth opening by (after sooo much experimenting) finding the right hold for him, but it didn't make anywhere near the difference getting his PTT clipped did.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Tippytoes  (17-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Dr terry Russell in macgregor is wonderful at diagnosing and doing the procedure. There is a dental clinic in Milton that does it too but go to dr Russell. Well respected and just fab with kids and parents alike.
    If you're in Brisbane, I also recommend Dr Russell. He snipped my daughters tongue tie. He had a great bed side manner and I don't recall it being very expensive.