+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Diagnosing a tongue tie

Who is the best person to diagnose a tongue tie 100%?

Breastfeeding has been painful & difficult since ds was born. He's now 10 weeks old & im using nipple shields & it still hurts & he cant stay latched without them.

My nipples got shredded when he was born, & multiple midwives, the hospital lactation consultant, the gp & multiple child health nurses all checked his mouth & said he definitely didnt have a tongue tie.

A couple of weeks ago a private ibclc said she thinks he has a posterier tongue tie.

Then last week the osteopath (who is also an ibclc) said he doesnt have a tongue tie

So who can I see to get an accurate answer as to whether or not he has a tongue tie? I dont think I can keep putting up with this pain, so I want to get an answer asap.

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Our paed picked up the posterior tongue tie at birth and snipped it there and then. It's difficult to see and often missed.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (15-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can I ask what state youre in? Theres a fb group tongue tie in australia which gives so much info on diagnosis and recommended drs. Lots of pictures etc.

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok thanks, might have to take him to a paed then & see what they say

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Dr terry Russell in macgregor is wonderful at diagnosing and doing the procedure. There is a dental clinic in Milton that does it too but go to dr Russell. Well respected and just fab with kids and parents alike.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The pediatrician at our hospital said he didn't have a tongue tie. A private LC said he had a deep, posterior tie which is much harder to see and diagnose. Our breastfeeding problems didn't disappear instantly when it was snipped, as I witnessed it did for other mothers at the clinic, because DS was 2 weeks old and had bad habits instilled to help him stay latched. But the snip definitely helped and it gave him the opportunity to learn how to latch properly.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    The LC did the initial diagnosis, at first she said no as he could poke his tongue out but after seeing my squashed nipple post-feed and having a good feel around she said PTT and recommended a GP-OB who was one of the few people local who snip them.

He also had to feel around a bit to confirm it but after he snipped it DS put his tongue to the roof of his mouth for the first time ever. Same as PP, he already had bad habits but it did make things better enough for me to not throw in the towel.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks a lot ladies!

And thanks for letting me know what happened with feeding for you so that I wont have unrealistic expectations - ds is 10 weeks old now so he'll definitely have to learn how to latch

Im in brisbane ourbradybunch

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It was really frustrating, all these women at the clinic would get the snip done and latch the baby on and go 'oh my god! It's so much better!' And I felt like crying because it didn't really feel better for me at all. Usually the babies were less than a week old, because they had obvious ties there was no question from any health professionals that they needed a snip so were getting it done immediately. Also, with a posterior tie they often latch on and suck VERY hard as that's the only way they can get milk out since their tongue can't come forward so they need to learn not to do that and to use their tongue more. Your nipples are most likely bruised too so they need to recover. Once he starts using his tongue properly and your nipples heal the pain goes. DS is such a little pro now it seems hard to believe that I pretty much hated the first couple of months of breastfeeding---pretty much every day I said I was going to quit! @Stretched helped me a few times when I was feeling confused about it all.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (16-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Im in nsw so have no qld recommendations but if you join the fb group there was alot of qld ladies

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app