+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't have kids yet but we flew to the UK via Singapore and booked the cheaper flights that had an 8 hr stoppover in Singapore. There was a transit hotel in the airport and we paid $80 for a hotel room, for 7 hours I think. It was clean and we had a sleep for about 5-6 hours, then showered and went back out ansd got on the plane. We were a lot more refereshed that those who had wandered around for the 8 hours. It might be worth looking into whether thats an option at HK airport

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    $1600 is a huge amount of money that I'd much prefer to use as spending money on my holiday so I'd definitely take the cheaper flight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would definitely take the direct flight if you can afford it. Extended plan trips are awful...no way I would want to wrangle kids for that many extra hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    considering the time and hassel you'd be saving I would really consider the direct flight, but as others have said it depends how much the $1600 is worth to you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone at this stage we are going to take the direct flight but going to hold off buying until November because Air NZ have their USA specials around nov-dec according to the lovely lady I spoke to and even though that is another stop over option it isn't anywhere as long as going via Hong Kong, plus they have the option of sky couches which might be worth it with the kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Air NZ was brilliant!!! I went with them to Canada (Brisbane - Auckland - Vancouver) and they were really good. Was such a relief to get on that plane coming home after such crappy American/Canadian domestic flights. Plus there's tonnes of flights to/from Auckland every day from Australia so you won't end up with a long stopover either.
    Exactly, I think a 2-4 hour stop over in Auckland might be good little break for the kids. Plus from what I can tell they get into LAX late afternoon-midday so by the time we get through all the security and immigration stations and pick up our rental car we could probably go straight to our hotel and check in and sleep to get over the jet lag and be fresh to start our adventure the next day.