+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Which flight would you choose

As a lot of you might know from my many travel questions we are going on our first family overseas holiday next year. The time is getting close for us to book our flights and from what we can tell to travel at that time of the year will be expensive (going to America during their summer). So we have 2 choices we can take direct flights or we can take connecting flights where the travel time takes twice as long but the cost is $1600 cheaper. I am not really sure about travelling for longer then I have to with the kids (DD will be 11, DS1 will be 8 and DS2 will be 3) but that price seems hard to argue with. DH just shrugs it off with "meh they will be fine" but he hasn't travelled overseas before and experienced jet lag, I may have only done it once but I remember how tired I was and the thought of my kids being that tired when 2 of them get really cranky when tired and 1 gets over emotional and won't stop crying doesn't appeal. So to help me decide which would you choose?

Thanks
    Reviews
    How long can you stretch your stop over / connect flights? If you can spend night somewhere and it's obviously heaps cheaper I would opt to go connecting flights. 2x6 hr flights to me is less pain than 1 x12 hr. ( aside from the issue of security/ border control twice. )
    Breaking it up gives the kids a chance to let off some energy too

3. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (15-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The first leg will be a 9.5 hour flight with a choice of a 1.5 or 8 hour layover followed by a 14 hour flight. The same but reversed for coming home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Op I would take the direct flight. $1600 is well worth the stress of getting all 3 off the plane the on another one at a later stage. At least with the direct flight you are in the seat and you know at the end of the flight it's all over! We have taken dd to Europe many times and never stopped over for more than 2 or 3 hours. If we could get on one plane and go straight through id do it! We went recently and she was asleep when we landed after the first leg so we had to bundle her up, carry her through the airport and the she was cranky until she fell asleep again. Not fun!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just saw your second post re stopover times. Id personally go with the 1.5 hr. Keep the momentum going!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I travel back to France every year and would pick the direct flight without a once of an hesitation.

The flights you are describing are going through Dubai or Doha? They are usually the best as the leave late at night, so you'll spend most of the 13 hrs flight sleeping. The next one will seem very short compared to that and they usually are shorter by 1 hr than what's announced.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wannaBamumma View Post
    Op I would take the direct flight. $1600 is well worth the stress of getting all 3 off the plane the on another one at a later stage. At least with the direct flight you are in the seat and you know at the end of the flight it's all over! We have taken dd to Europe many times and never stopped over for more than 2 or 3 hours. If we could get on one plane and go straight through id do it! We went recently and she was asleep when we landed after the first leg so we had to bundle her up, carry her through the airport and the she was cranky until she fell asleep again. Not fun!
    I don't think DD would be a problem but DS1 is a slow walker and likes to take his time so I know I will stress trying to get him through the airport quickly. If DS2 was asleep during landing for the first leg would be incredibly cranky and irritable for a few hours after. I think the direct flight will be worth the extra money but DH is always looking to save and says he will help wrangle the kids through the airport.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    I travel back to France every year and would pick the direct flight without a once of an hesitation.

The flights you are describing are going through Dubai or Doha? They are usually the best as the leave late at night, so you'll spend most of the 13 hrs flight sleeping. The next one will seem very short compared to that and they usually are shorter by 1 hr than what's announced.
    The cheaper flight is Cathay with a stopover in Hong Kong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The direct flight is with Virgin (or Qantas) and I am pretty sure they were 12 or 13 hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you extend the break time? Otherwise I would just go direct not worth the hassle unless it was a decent enough break to get some rest in a hotel somewhere