+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default TTC second baby after struggles conceiving with 1st

Hi everyone. My Hubby and I have decided we will be stopping contraception after my next AF in a few weeks time to try for a second child. We had so many problems conceiving the first time it took us 2 1/2 years. After speaking to our gp about it he has said chances are we won't have trouble conceiving again as my body has now been through a pregnancy and a woman's body remembers how to do things.

The problem we had the first time was that I needed a boost with ovulation using clomid. We fell the first month of clomid so we were lucky.

Do you think my gp just has wishful thinking or has anyone had a similar experience and he might be correct in his assumption?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't agree with your GP unfortunately. While I'm sure it's true that having a baby can change your body and kind of 'reset' your cycle, you also have to consider why you have a fertility problem in the first place. Our FS said often it's actually harder second time as you're a little older.

We went to the FS after 6 months TTC for baby #2 as we didn't want to wait too long. Our situation had become worse so we started IVF/PICSI soon after - 3 cycles later we got our BFP and I'm holding my 7wk old DS right now

My advice is not to wait it out, if you have a known issue address it now.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (14-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    It can happen. I'm proof of that.

It took us almost 2 years and IVF to get our DS1. We were put under the unexplained infertility umbrella.

Then my period came back when DS1 was 7 months old and that cycle we conceived DS2. I was still breast feeding DS1 and not using any contraception as I honestly thought there was no chance I would fall pregnant naturally! How wrong I was.

Best of luck. It's worth a shot trying naturally but maybe give yourself a time frame if you don't want to leave it too long.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it depends on the cause of your infertility. It took us 4 and a half years and 4 rounds of IVF to conceive our DS. We tried naturally for 6 months before seeing FS. Blood tests show I am still in the same boat as before DS so once again going through IVF. I guess it depends on your situation and how long your willing to try naturally for - I didn't see the point when the odds were so low and given my previous history.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I disagree too. Id been with my parter 13 yrs before I fell pregnant only for that to end in MC at 8 wks. (No one scare and could go 6 months without a period) It took another two year to see a FS to then fall pregnant on Clomid on try 3. I'm now ready for #2 and I'm not prepared to wait. I have had PCOS since I was 20 and why would that change just because I had a successful pregnancy. I still have PCOS. I'm am going to see my GP on Tuesday for a referral and if she tries that with me I will not be happy. I am 33 now, I'm not going to wait and see for a few more years....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all of the feedback. I haven't been diagnosed with an infertility problem I had tests and such they told me I may have not been producing enough eggs. My uterus and overies are fine.

I really wish I could just stop the pill now but I'm worried it'll cause issues stopping midway through a cycle. Just need to be patient...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My first dd was a result of clomid third cycle. No pcos just needing the boost of clomid to ovulate. I was concerned about whether there was any point trying naturally but we started ttc in April with the intention of asking for a referral at the end of the year. By June I had a bfp which unfortunately we miscarried in July. We took a few months of not really trying and got another bfp in Dec which is my 2 week old bubba I'm nursing right now.

It's worth a try at natural but I'd set myself a 6 month aim of when you will ask for investigations again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MINIRoo View Post
    I disagree too. Id been with my parter 13 yrs before I fell pregnant only for that to end in MC at 8 wks. (No one scare and could go 6 months without a period) It took another two year to see a FS to then fall pregnant on Clomid on try 3. I'm now ready for #2 and I'm not prepared to wait. I have had PCOS since I was 20 and why would that change just because I had a successful pregnancy. I still have PCOS. I'm am going to see my GP on Tuesday for a referral and if she tries that with me I will not be happy. I am 33 now, I'm not going to wait and see for a few more years....
    Hi sorry to derail the op but miniroo can you update us if your gp just gave you the clomid again? Im exactly the same as you and hope my gp will just give me clomid when we ttc number 2. I don't want to have to try naturally myself for 6 months and waste my time when I have pcos!! Interested to see how u go

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm seeing my GP tomorrow so I'll let you know what she says.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dr has referred me back to my FS. See her on the 2nd Oct.