+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Foods for 7month old?

Hi all,

I have been feeding DS since he was 5 months with a spoon. I use the mesh bag for fruit during the day.

He has all of a sudden become not interested in food on the spoon. I just had **** flying everywhere and major tantrum.. so then I just gave him fruit.

Can anyone share any BLW tips, tricks. What foods to give? What not to give. I am all ears and eyes open! No allergies in the family so keen to try anything.

Just desperate to get food into him.

Thanks,
    Claire

DS Vincent 7 1/2 months old

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have the same thing happening with my 6 month old DS. Refused spoon from us.

Today i made the corn fritters recipe on mylovelylittlelunchbox.com. the author of the blog is Brisbane based. It is a great blog!

DS didnt mind it. It was officially day 1 of our BLW journey. He hasn't really "eaten" much but licked it and tried to put in his mouth.
    For breakfast i gave him oatmeal finger with apple sauce mixed in. Just make a packet of 90 sec quick oats (the plain non flavored cyz the dont have added sugar) in microwave w water. Then cook extra minute till somewhat firm n cut in fingers. Lunch was the corn fritters. Dinner a piece of broccoli, cauliflower and chicken tender w some penne pasta. He was very interested in the cauliflower but cant work out how to chew and then swallow it. He takes a chunck in his mouth then leaves his mouth open till it drops out of his mouth sometimes takes 2 minutes lol. DH also managed to hand him 4 loaded spoons of the baby yoghurt and DS at least ate that all by himself! He knows how to put spoon in his own mouth. Mr Independent just wants to do it himself.

Compared to last week spoon feeding we are much more relaxed and meal time is fun again. No stress to get him to open mouth. He just does af his own pace. I feel happy again.
    You will love the recipes on the blog. But you could just give your LO whatever is on your plate. That's the whole point of blw. They eat what you eat as long as you follow the allergen guidelines.
    Last edited by someonesomewhere; 13-09-2014 at 20:05.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to someonesomewhere For This Useful Post:

CLEO26  (13-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Start with easy whole foods first - then when he gets the hang of it give him everything ( except honey and processed foods) a few great easy first foods are:

Steamed broccoli , keep the stalk long so he has something to hold

Roasted sweet potato - cut into chip size lengths, use a crinkle cutter for a better grip

Cucumber sticks - thick cut with skin on, great for dipping into yogurt or avocado dip

Avocado - cut in half, then half again - leave skin on as it's easy to hold - he will work out which end to eat! ( cut mangoes the same way)

Lamb cutlets - grill , cut the meat off but leave a few cm so he can hold the bone and literally gnaw the bits of meat

Poached chicken breast - cut into thick strips, easy to hold and he will gum/suck the meat

Rice cakes - great finger foods as they gum them and the rice melts in their mouth - spread with avocado or cottage cheese or natural peanut butter

Once he has the hang of biting/ chewing/swallowing try pastas, rice, toast, eggs, cut cherry tomatoes and olives in half, pears and stone fruits give whole small ones , give bananas whole , corn on the cob and I just flaked fish into small pieces ( check for bones) and put it on his tray - by 10 months he could easily eat everything no problems

Don't be afraid to add flavours to everything - I put olive oil and butter on his steamed veggies, brush black strap molasses on his roast veggies, add fresh green herbs and chia seeds to eggs and homemade nuggets , put garlic and ginger in everything , I put spinach into any sandwich he eats , the more textures and flavours you introduce early the better!
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 13-09-2014 at 20:45.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

CLEO26  (13-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Following

Thanks
    Reviews
    Elijahs mum,

This is great!! Thanks. Just checking, did u feed your babe chicken, eggs and cottage cheese at this age?
    Did you just keep putting things on his tray until he has had enough? I usually feed 2 "happy baby" ice cube trays of pureed food or it's about one jar size.

I am a bit nervous feeding but I'll get there. Appreciate all the comments and advice from real mums!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yep - at 7 months he'd tried everything from prawns, eggs , olives , almond butter , cheese,lamb, chicken,fish all fruits and veggies and pasta - I literally put maybe 3 or 4 things on his tray and let him go for it - he always chose green veggies first and meats last, I never pushed him to eat more or less but always sat with him and also ate and chatted so meal time was always a fun time - you could tell when he had enough as he just played with or threw the food! same with when you go out to eat, just let him eat what you eat , there is always something healthy/ BLW friendly at every cafe/ restaurant and most will alter things for you if you ask

Try read the baby led weaning book or there are heaps of websites and YouTube videos to watch , DS is 4 next month and still eats everything , people think its funny when he orders BBQ octopus and salad for dinner at restaurants but that's just what's he is used too !

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

CLEO26  (14-09-2014),someonesomewhere  (14-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following, this is really interesting.

I tried BLW once with a bit of banana but bub very enthusiastically bit off a chunk and nearly choked on it, so have been hesitant to continue.

He will eat anything off a spoon, but still watches what hubby and I eat with hungry eyes so think I might try again with some of your suggestions thanks Elijah'sMum

Thanks
    Reviews
    Day two on our BLW journey. DS was munching on a chunk of lamb bread finger dipped in yogurt and another corn fritter. Breakkie he had apple slices softened in the m/wave and oatmeal fingers. DH was amazed and said "well who wouldnt love to munch on lamb". Then we ate our roast lamb sangas and DS just copied his daddy. all in all DS might have eaten a square cm piece of apple and bit of corn fritter and same bread dipped in yogurt. He sucked on the lamb mostly and he loooved it.
    I cant believe how much mord fun this is than trying to pry open my tight lipped baby.
    Another plus side. We are now havinv each meal as a family at the table. Not baby first and then DH sorting something else out. Yay for more family time.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to someonesomewhere For This Useful Post:

CLEO26  (14-09-2014),Elijahs Mum  (14-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've been doing a mixture. He went from not being interested in solids at all to the Cookie Monster! Right now he greedily eats off the spoon and I do finger foods like banana, carrot, toast or other bits of fruit but will definitely have to give some of your ideas a go Elijah's mum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is all brilliant! I am trying banana and avocado today. I will post to see how he goes. Thanks to all. Such great advice x

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CLEO26 For This Useful Post:

someonesomewhere  (14-09-2014)