+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Feeling a little sensitive about people saying my baby is a "big girl"

My 15 month old is 90cm tall and 15 kg. she is heavier than her 4 year old cousin :-0 She currently wears size 3/4 clothes.
    She is a good eater, and mostly eats (and prefers) fruit and veg, with a little meat, snacks of yoghurt, fruit, rice crackers, dips etc. Eats a very healthy balanced diet. The only time she really overeats is 2x per week at daycare, when they allow 3 serves of lunch, but again it is all healthy, well cooked food. She is also very active. Her one bad habit is she still has 2 small bottles a day. One before bed and one during the night. We are trying to taper these off, but she is very resistant to the idea.
    I know she is well above average for size, I hate people calling her big :-(
    I am sure people with smaller than average children also feel judged? Or am I just being silly???
    Last edited by Zabella; 13-09-2014 at 18:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think you are being sensitive but a lot of people are. My kids are tiny for their age and I get told that often. I just agree with them because I know it's true. No harm done really. As long as you know she is well looked after and she is active. Don't take it to heart.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't worry about what others say. My dd is quite tall and solid, but so is my dh. She also has a heap of hair an people think she is older than she is. Just ignore them, you know your little one is eating well and that's all that matters.
    Last edited by MrsSS; 13-09-2014 at 18:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1410597335.750740.jpg
    This is her in one of the foam kids couches...
    I think the other thing that doesn't help is that she is cloth nappies as well, and people are not used to seeing that bulk of nappy either. She is a heavy wetter and wears a 2 price nappy with 7 layers.
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1410597494.498043.jpg
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Zabella; 13-09-2014 at 18:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would say she looks tall rather than 'big'. My DS was a similar weight at that age, but not as tall, so looked really fat. People used to say to me he looks like a rugby player! Now he's 5 he is 22kg and isn't a really skinny kid but doesn't stand out as being bigger than other kids his age.
    I'd try not to worry about it, sounds like you're feeding her good healthy food, kids are very good at regulating their appetite so I wouldn't restrict how much she eats. Just avoid anything sugary.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (08-04-2015),VicPark  (05-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd was the same, it didn't bother me, and for the next year she literally stayed 15.3kg the whole time but got taller so it evened out. She lost almost 1kg in 4 days of being sick and within 2 weeks was right back to 15.3kg for another 3 months. Her being sick was an eye opener to the benefits of a big bub, I remember the pediatric intern at the hosp calling her boss and mentioning concern at her weight loss. He asked her age, height and weight then laughed and told her we had a week or 2 before we had to worry about it lol

With the overnight bottles we had the same problem, she wouldn't give them up, so over about 2 months when she was about 28-30 months we watered them down more and more until she was drinking water and she FINALLY started to sleep through!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I keep getting asked if my DD2 is going to school next year and people are shocked when i say no she doesnt even turn 4 till november.

She has always been a tall kid way over the top of the charts the chn has. She has also been over the top for weight but its in line with her height.

I agree it gets annoying having it constantly pointed out to you but people seem to have a habit of stating the obvious.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I also wouldnt worry about her bottles either she is still a bubba. My DS is 18mths and has 2 bottles a day - no way im taking them off him either

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Your daughter is gorgeous.

I understand completely. My ds#2 was massive and he was fat (multiple leg rolls) and people would call him "bruiser" and strangers would gasp and say "what a monster" when i told them how old he was (because they asked)

Tbh it really cut me. Do we really need to make comments on kids size? Would it be ok for an adult to say to another adult "you're big!" No.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As above

I get where you're coming from though - my dd is a fast grower...she's only three months but she's quite chubby and people make comments all the time.

I know she's just healthy and it's unlikely that it will be a problem in the future, but it still hurts me a bit to hear people comment like that.

Maybe it's partly because I was a chubby little kid and got teased for it, and remember how it hurt.

I also think about the future, and don't want her to be upset/self-conscious if people talk about how big she was as a baby.

Your daughter is *gorgeous*!