+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Would you be annoyed if

You got a letter from your accountant on Friday saying as of that day she is retiring and all enquiries now can be directed to a new accounting firm which is an hour away? The letter goes on to say that she has fallen in love with someone and is moving on... fair enough but I would have thought that all her clients would have appreciated being told in advance that she will be retiring on x date and if they would like to - to pick up any personal information/tax records. I do not like our business and personal info just being passed onto another firm which I have never even heard of either. Feels really unprofessional to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sometimes there is no opportunity to advise clients in advance, it would have been nice in a perfect world but she also has no obligation to as such. You should be given the option to collect your personal information OR be transferred to another firm, not automatically transferred

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think that's very unprofessional. It sounds like she moving on to a new phase of her life - good for her. But she's not retiring due to unforeseen circumstances. This is something it sounds like she's planned, in which case, she should give clients advance notice and give them the choice of moving to the firm she recommends or collecting their records and changing to the firm of their own choice.

Not much you can do about it now, but yes I'd be annoyed too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'd say in the contract she's signed she would not be able to give advanced warning - when you sell a business with a client base there are usually clauses in the contracts about what/when you tell your clients as the new business owners obviously are paying for her client base - you definitely don't have to go with the new firm but they would have been given all your files so just make sure you ask to pick up everything that's yours if you change accountants