+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby still wanting to be swaddled.

Hi, sorry another baby question..

My son (5 months and 1 week) still wants to be swaddled for bed time and naps.. I don't have a problem with doing this (apart from the fact I have to buy more cot blankets coz his other blankets are getting too small for him), but I need to know if it's ok to keep swaddling or is it dangerous?

He isn't rolling yet (he rolled once so far a few weeks ago but hasn't done it since).

My sister gave me a baby sleeping bag with the arms out but because my son has a dummy at night if he isn't wrapped up he accidentally pulls his dummy out. He can fall asleep with being swaddled but he wakes a lot..

My other kids were all out of being swaddled by about 2/3 months. I was thinking maybe Summer I stop but he'll be 8 months by then so not sure if it's too late or what?

Should I just leave it be? He sleeps well most nights and I don't want to interrupt that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My 9 month old is still swaddled as she refuses to give it up, but she doesn't tend to roll in bed so it's not an issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I swaddled DD2 till 9/10mths and DS till 8mths they slept really well and liked being wrapped

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok thank you.. Well glad I'm not alone.. I just wasn't sure if there was a rule or whatever with it.. Like it won't hinder any milestones etc and not dangerous.. Sometimes he gets out of the blanket and he's ok but if I don't wrap him before I out him in his cot he'll wake up a lot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son was swaddled until about 7 months. Both him and i loved it. As long as you arent swaddling so tight that his legs are restricted from moving there is nothing wrong with keeping him swaddled. If he can roll onto his tummy while he is swaddled then you need to stop. I will also preempt your next question and say that when I was ready to stop swaddling we went cold turkey. Some people loosen and let them have one arm out at a time but my bub got confused and frustrated with this so I just told him that I'm not wrapping him anymore (for his first sleep of the day) and he did fine. Good luck. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both my kids could roll well before we stopped swaddling them.
    They were both swaddled with their arms up so if they rolled onto their bellies they could easily push themselves up on their forearms and roll back over if they wanted.

We didnt really make a conscious decision to stop swaddling they just got stronger and got their arms out of the wraps easier and after a while of them doing that we stopped wrapping them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks again everyone.. He sometimes gets one (or both) arms out and sleeps ok so might just leave it. It doesn't seem to be bothering him (being swaddled) and *touch wood* he sleeps pretty well most nights so I'll leave it for now