+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    really!!?? I never would ave thought to do that!

Im too chicken. I ended up running out and buying a large round cake tin from the $2 shop. I forgot to check there and they happened to have one. Im not brave enough to try anything new right now LOL i don't have enough faith in my baking skills.

Ill post pics of finished product Thanks again all for your input anyways. I might try it as a,practice run another time for a non big occasion just to make sure i have the timing right.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Serenity Love For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (12-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've used a roasting dish to make a large rectanular cake as well.

I also bake cakes in a slice pan all the time - cooks quicker and easier to cut up for lunch boxes.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (12-09-2014),Serenity Love  (12-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    I remember watching a show where a lady started a business up where she made up little cake mixes and everything you need other than milk and eggs to bake and decorate a cake including a cardboard box to use as a tin to bake it in. The best part of using a box is if it starts to rise too much in the middle you can pop the lid on while it's cooking (you would have to lone that with baking paper too though) and it will help the cake cook more evenly and flatter on top.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

Serenity Love  (12-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    I remember watching a show where a lady started a business up where she made up little cake mixes and everything you need other than milk and eggs to bake and decorate a cake including a cardboard box to use as a tin to bake it in. The best part of using a box is if it starts to rise too much in the middle you can pop the lid on while it's cooking (you would have to lone that with baking paper too though) and it will help the cake cook more evenly and flatter on top.
    I never knew to cover the top to stop the rising!! Thanks for the tip ill do that with this cake! lol im such an amateur. I haven't baked a great deal, i mainly make cheesecakes. There are a lot of things i do not know.

So if it starts to rise i just put baking paper over the top? Would foil work?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    I was told if it starts to look like a volcano you can put a greased baking tray over the top to weigh it down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    It(tray) should work as long as it doesn't volcano too much before you do it. And make sure the part of the tray that touches the cake is greased.

Using a tray works better because it helps with the to down and allows the batter to fill the tin first. But this is more of a "just in case it is going to become a volcano" not how you should do all cakes.

And you should probably turn the temp down a fraction(10-20°) if it does start to do this.

I think foul and baking paper on their own would not be heavy enough and would really only help prevent it from going too dark on top
    Last edited by DesperatelySeekingSleep; 12-09-2014 at 13:22.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

Serenity Love  (12-09-2014)