+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default **** problem...

Hey ladies. For the last 4 or so nights my nearly 3 year old DS1 has been taking his nappy off when he goes to bed. If we don't catch it early enough when we check in him at bedtime he's wee'd on the bed. And in the morning when he wakes he has been doing the same thing (nappy off, wee on the bed).

He is about 80% toilet trained. Unless he is distracted (playing etc) he is good with wees during the day. He is ok with poo's, he will do one on a potty if we put him on, but he won't initiate going to the toilet to do a poo.

He used to get stamps for wees on the potty/toilet but he was getting so good we weaned him of them. He gets a sticker when he does a poo on the potty/toilet.

He's still in a nappy at night and it's usually pretty wet in the morning.

I'm stumped as to why he's doing this (development phase?) and how hubby and I should go about handling it.

Would be grateful for ideas and suggestions from the experiences mummies out there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Developmental phase My kids that did it in cooler weather a footless onesie put on backwards made life harder for them.
    However, my nearly 5 year old is dry overnight half the time and I am just in the habit of checking that he didn't take his pull up off once he's asleep, as because he's dry half the time he just decided sometimes that he can be done with night time pull ups and takes it off.
    As for the morning one...I've never had that issue...could you put a potty next to his bed and encourage him to wee in that in the morning (I never did potty's personally but it could work in this instance), or get a couple of brolly sheets so you're not having to completely strip his bed every morning?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (12-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Three options.

1) make your son change the sheets himself. Explain that if he wees on the sheets he needs to change it himself. I do this for my kids aged 3+

2) put the nappy on backwards and as pp said, a onesie back to front so he can't access the buttons. This was useful 12-24mths for me.

3) as soon as the toddler stirs around 4.30-5am I get them up and pop them on the toilet to catch that first wee. It takes a few nights and a few weeks of very early mornings to get them used to waking up to wee then either going back to sleep or up for the day. After a while you can stretch them back to 6ish am. We are here for my 2yo.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (12-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Oh man... I got caught up and haven't had a chance to read responses until
    Now. Just put ds1 down for his day nap and played the "if you take your nappy off again you're going in the corner" card.

Some good suggestions, thanks ladies. I have brolly style sheets but it's still a pain changing them... And ds1's aim is pretty poor someone he manages to wee on his brolly sheet, doona cover... Comforter etc..

I might try:
    - Getting ds1 to 'help' me clean the mess
    - putting a potty in his room (I might have to put a large mat under it as I can just see ds1 topping the wee all over the carpet)
    - nappy on backwards
    - might keep an eye out for a onesie (don't have any) although the weather is getting warmer ...

Not sure about the early morning wee wee.. 4:30! F@rk! My toddler usually doesn't stir until 7:30/8 and I wouldn't want to risk him getting into the habit of waking early... I might adjust this a bit and perhaps do a dream wee at night before I go to bed and go in and wake him at 7:30am and put him straight on the toilet...
    Last edited by VicPark; 12-09-2014 at 14:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hey VP I did a dream wee with my eldest son as he was having a few accidents. It worked really well for him. I'd just lift him out of bed and tell him we were going to the toilet and pop him on the loo. I only needed to do that for about 3-4 months and he stopped wetting the bed. Definitely worth the effort of getting him up! I'd just take him before I went to bed myself.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chippa For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (12-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just be prepared that a dream wee may not work at all too...I tried it with my oldest once...picked up her out of bed and she started screaming, clawing at me and kicking me. I had to go to the other end of the house because I could not calm her down and lock us both in a dark room...40 minutes later she stopped physically attacking me and asked me why we were in the room in the dark. Needless to say, we aborted that plan quick smart!
    I think we were probably unlucky, but best to try the dream wee on a night when you're not exhausted and hanging out for bed, just incase.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Aww too cute , it's a development phase . My nephew did that all the time , so my sister would just put a footless onside on him so that he couldn't get inside to take it off , and to keep the nappy in place

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep dream wees failed spectacularly here. Was then up till 1-2am with a kid who thought they just had a nap

Yep the early mornings suck but rather that than a wet bed.