+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Sharing a room.

How long did it take for your children to settle into sharing a room and stop being crazy at bedtime?

We're only on night 2 but DS1's behaviour is out of control. I know we have to give them time to settle in but how long is reasonable?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    They stopped when I started putting them to bed separately. Dd2 goes to bed first at around 7.30, and dd1 goes to bed at around 8.30 when dd2 has gone to sleep.

Before I started doing it that way, it was a nightmare- they would be up playing and running around the room until midnight some nights.

There are some nights that dd1 is tired and ready for bed before dd2 is asleep, so I put dd2 in my bed (because dd1 cant be trusted, she goes through my stuff). Then when dd1 has fallen alseep I move dd2 back to her bed.

I think I gave it a week or 2 beforw I started putting them to bed separately, and if they were mucking around they got 1 warning then the door was closed (they hate the dark). That worked until they clued on I couldn't see if their bedroom light was turned on. Hence starting to put them to bed separately.

He + Me = dd1 (July 2007), dd2 (July 2010), dd3 (August 2012), dd4 (May 2014)
    Embrace the chaos

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (11-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How old are your kids?

My oldest two started sharing a room at 3 1/2 and 20 months...it took about a week for the 20 month old to settle, but she was also going in to a big girl bed for the first time too. I just had to sit in the room and tell them to be quiet every time they went to speak to each other.
    Then the three of them shared a room for 12 months...they were 7 1/2, 5 1/2 an 3 1/2 and we had zero issues.

They all go to bed at the same time....just my older two share again now and my oldest reads with a small night light for half an hour after bed time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    About 2 weeks. Dd1 was 3.5 and dd2 19mths.

I still sit in their room whilst they go to sleep to nip any cheekiness in the bud quickly.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Mine are separate again now but they were together for about a year at 4 and 6.5 and it took about a week for them to settle down.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Thanks all, They are 6 and 4yrs old. The giggling and chatting I can handle but DS1 is stealing DS2's deco light (it sits on top of his bed post instead of on the wall) and terrorising DS2 which makes life so hard cos then DS2 is so hard to settle down. but they've been begging to share for almost a year now.

I w
    as going to try staggered bedtime but I am not sure I can get DS2 to go to sleep within half an hour and if DS1 isnt in bed by 7:30 his behaviour gets worse.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Thought I'd share. Last night they went to sleep without any issues and tonight they were both sound asleep before 7pm without a single sound. Thank goodness!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Full House  (15-09-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (16-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Glad they settled well tonight peanutmonkey. I don't know if this would help, due to both being in beds, but we've put one of those room dividers between ds1 (6) and ds2 (14momths) who is still in a cot. I think it helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Mine are almost three and 12 months and have been sharing for five months now. We put them to bed separately and it was surprisingly easy, fingers crossed your two settle into it soon.

When we are travelling Ds1 will share with his cousin who is the same age, and they play up on the first night but are much more settled the second.

Me, he and our two boys

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our 2 DDs were 3 and 7 when they first started sharing. They have bunks though so that makes it easier for them to not run around together. DD2 knows she is not allowed to go up to her big sister's bed but there have been times where I've gone to check on them and big sis has joined little sis (probably on DD2's insistence). They love sharing a room together and once we move into our new home I'm sure they'll be happy to have their own rooms but will still creep into each other's beds.

Of course there is a transition period for each sibling but the whole experience is worth it.