+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    For me the line is true. Once dd1 and I sorted out attachment there was no pain.

I knew what to do with dd2 so there was no pain from the beginning just the usual initial discomfort of nipples in use.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    So I'm thinking the Medela shields are the go. They have great reviews and are meant to be perfect for flat nipples, poor attachment and pain, all of which I get.
    You may not even need them but it can't hurt to have them on hand

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Despite the fact that I have had a good latch from the get go with both my babies, I had numerous problems and immense pain with both. I went on to exclusively breastfeed both, but it took a good 3 months for each to settle down and become pain free.

with ds:
    - baaaad nipple trauma. Five yrs on one of my nipples still has a scar from the huge crack he left.
    - mastitis
    - recurring thrush
    - tongue tie (undiagnosed)

with dd:
    - again, nipple trauma. This probably wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't gone against my gut and used a nipple shield to give my nipples a break. The nipple shield made things far worse and opened up a big crack. Nipple shields helped with my son, not with my daughter.
    - staph infection in my nipple due to the cracks.
    - tongue tie and upper lip tie

In hindsight, everyone saying 'you must be doing it wrong'. NOT TRUE!! Nipples do need an adjustment period, in my experience.