+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was in tremendous pain with both babies. But apparently I have flat nipples, (not inverted, just not protruding) and with my last baby the LC told me no matter how hard I tried I'd forever need nipple shields etc . I tried until I was bruised bleeding

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Thank you I genuinely appreciate it Our nearest LC is 4-5 hours away as I live in the bush unfortunately. DS never attached once, to notice when he was older he had a bad upper lip tie... despite the ABA and middies insisting there was nothing wrong.

Have you used nipple shields? I see there are small medium and large? does that mean small nips or areola? gah I'm so overwhelmed.
    I tried them in desperation- I could not work them out! Look up The Milk Meg- she does the Skype consults and is pretty reasonably priced considering her experience and knowledge.
    Ties are so frustrating with some medicos refusing to acknowledge they are there and /or causing a problem! Are you able to speak to your GP in advance about the problems you had last time? He/she might be willing to brush up their knowledge and support you better this time, including referrals for revisions to lip ties if needed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

delirium  (11-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    False! I hate the blame on the mother - 'you did it wrong' or 'you didnt know what you were doing'. Sometimes the mum does everything right & the freaking baby is the one 'doing it wrong'. I spent hours with lc's & no one was able to get my stubborn baby to latch properly. I maintain it was her fault, not mine

Delirium - look into the 'avent nipplette' if youre interested, i used to put it in 30 mins before a feed to draw out the nipple. Nipple shields are sized on the circumference of your nipple - so if you wear one too small, the whole nipple wont be drawn into it, just part of the nipple, and it will be painful. Too large & the nipple & some of the areola will be drawn in too - you want it to just fit thr nipple. Id recommend a couple of sizes in the hospital bag so youre able to change it if needed. Good luck, i never coild have bf without nipple shields, a lot of people discourage their use, but hey, if they work, why not!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

beebs  (11-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Thanks for the great advice. I think I might buy a small and medium, but suspect I'll need the small.

It's the pain that's scaring me. It was worse than my c/s pain with DD.... but then I believe I had undiagnosed nipple thrush. Ahhh hindsight huh. I have so much more knowledge this time around. I'm going to give it a good shot and aim for 1 week time frames at a time then keep extending if I can. If it doesn't work, I'm more than fine with that too.
    Last edited by delirium; 11-09-2014 at 21:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a toe curling let down. Apparently it was quite common according to my lc and could last several months. It settled down about the 6 week mark. I did have issues with attachment for the first couple of weeks and it did a lot of damage to my nipples.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the great advice. I think I might buy a small and medium, but suspect I'll need the small.

It's the pain that's scaring me. It was worse than my c/s pain with DD.... but then I believe I had undiagnosed nipple thrush. Ahhh hindsight huh. I have so much more knowledge this time around. I'm going to give it a good shot and aim for 1 week time frames at a time then keep extending if I can. If it doesn't work, I'm more than fine with that too.
    That's what got me through the early months- small goals. It sounds as though you're doing all you can to give it a good shot and no one can ask more than that

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (11-09-2014),delirium  (11-09-2014),Sonja  (11-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    So I'm thinking the Medela shields are the go. They have great reviews and are meant to be perfect for flat nipples, poor attachment and pain, all of which I get.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I'd suggest going for even smaller goals, like one day or even one feed at a time. A week is s along time at that stage!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (12-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I has difficulty thr first few days when I started feeding my 3 week old dd..turns out I'd latched her incorrectly but also had sensitive nipples which didn't help matters. Took us a few says of expressing and a no nonsense midwife who actually knew what she was doing to help me. I'd had rubbish advice from midwives the one day I was in hospital. They were grabbing hey and shoving her on my boobs which did not help at all.

I still get the wincing pain when I first latch her but there is also a lingering level of slight discomfort during each feed which I think is to be expected with breastfeeding.

I think each woman has a different understanding of pain and sensitivity..imo it's irresponsible for health professionals to tout the line of if it hurts is essentially you doing something wrong. If you're in toe curling agony then yes, something isn't right but this doesn't equal bad technique.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    With dd it didn't hurt at all. With ds it hurt for the first few weeks but he still fed fine and gained weight and I didn't have any cracked n etc, just felt painful.