+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Cover Letter Question

I'm preparing a cover letter for a job application and I'm a little stuck.

What is a nice, and professional, way of saying please don't contact my current employer because I have not told them I am looking at a new job.

I have included a sentence "I appreciate your confidence in relation to my application" but I'm not sure that is explanatory enough.

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think that line is enough.

You will be listing your referees on your resume - simply do not list anyone from your current workplace. I'm sure they will only call the listed references.

This is what I have always done and I've never had a prospective employer call my current employer when I haven't wanted them to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    You don't need an explanation, just write References available on request. It's code for (I haven't told my boss yet). I see it on CVs all the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, what scuba girl said. Most people assume you haven't told your current boss, but will want them as a referee if you get that far.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie29 View Post
    I'm preparing a cover letter for a job application and I'm a little stuck.

What is a nice, and professional, way of saying please don't contact my current employer because I have not told them I am looking at a new job.

I have included a sentence "I appreciate your confidence in relation to my application" but I'm not sure that is explanatory enough.

Thanks in advance
    If you are going for a govt job, it might be better to nominate someone who has supervised you or is working for the same dept but at a higher level than you that can field a call but be discreet rather than not have anyone from your current workplace. Otherwise the recruiters and selection panel might think that you have something to hide rather than just not wanting to tell a boss. Non govt would be different though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. I must have done okay because I have a telephone interview today. I'm really nervous, my last interview was nearly 4 years agi

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie29 View Post
    Thanks everyone. I must have done okay because I have a telephone interview today. I'm really nervous, my last interview was nearly 4 years agi
    Good luck. Have a think about three or four work situation examples that describe your skills.

You'll want one where you led/shone/did something really good (your strengths)

One where you overcame a challenge (resilience)

And maybe one where you had to handle conflict or a difficult situation.

Use this format for working out your examples:

Describe the situation
    What did you do
    What happened
    What did you learn

And then maybe just note down some dot points about what the best skills are that you have that they want for this job in particular.

Have your notes nice and clear in short dot points to have ready by the phone and make sure you are somewhere quiet with no distractions or noise.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

Mellie29  (16-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Oh and @Mellie29 when they ask you at the end of the interview if you have any questions say that you're really excited about the opportunity of this job and you'd like to know if there's anything else in particular they are looking for in terms of skills that you could elaborate further on.

It gives them a chance to say "well we aren't really sure if you can twirl plates" (or whatever) and then you've got a perfect opportunity to sell them on your 'plate twirling' skills, or whatever the thing may be.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

Mellie29  (16-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Interview went really, really well they basically wanted to know when I could start. And kept saying "when you come to join us" etc. I'm having a second meeting in person on the weekend and looking at the office.

The next thing, if I get an offer, would be to tell my boss. I don't think she'll be very happy and probably very annoyed that I did not tell her I was looking elsewhere. I know I don't have to but it's going to be an interesting conversation.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mellie29 For This Useful Post:

ScubaGal  (17-09-2014)