+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 5 seater vs 7 seater

Argh! Who would have thought buying a car could be so hard!

First my husband and I couldn't agree on a model of car, now we're having the 5 or 7 seater debate! We have 3 boys (9mths, 6 and 8) and I think we need a 7 seater for space, kid separation and guests. He thinks I shouldn't base my decision on using seat 6 and 7 for only 5% of the time. Not sure where he got that figure! I agree with him that choices for 7 seat cars are limited - we only agree on one model (see my other post!) I just worry we'll regret getting a 5 seater.

What are your thoughts and experiences?

**Any suggestions of 7 seater cars is pointless as he's vetoed everything except the Subaru tribeca ( see my other post!). Large, roomy, economic 5 seater suggestions are welcome!! I will also welcome ways in which I can convince him to go with a 7 seater!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    7 sweater because when kids have friends over

3. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (11-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    We have 3 sons and 2 x 5 seater cars. I wouldnt buy a 7 seater personally cos I dont really like any of them (though our 2nd car is able to have 2 extra seats if we buy and install the seats - nissan xtrail)

Our boys are 6, 4 and 1. We've had no issues and if they want a friend over, they just get dropped off.

Not sure what your budget is but we have a 2014 Nissan Xtrail which can become a 7 seater if you get that option. Amazing car, I absolutely love it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm with your husband... are you really going to need the extra seats often enough to warrant compromising your preferred car?
    I wouldn't buy a 7 seater unless it's the one you want most, with 7 seats being a bonus.

I'm one of 3 and I don't remember it ever being an issue with a 5 seater.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (11-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I disagree with his figure of 5%! Just in the last 6 months I have needed a 7 seater more than enough to justify it. All of our family live interstate and when they visit (usually by plane) we always have to take 2 cars. I am friends with a group of mums at school who always help each other out with pick ups and drop offs and I can't be part of it! Plus my kids always fight in the car. I want to split them up a bit!

We currently have a jeep which is an ok size but not for 3 growing boys and their stuff. I can't think of many other 5 seaters that would be significantly bigger.

The tribeca is my 2nd choice so I wouldn't be compromising on something that I really wanted.

It's funny, he was all for a 7 seater in the beginning but when he realised the European cars he wants don't come with 7 seats, he changed his mind! Perhaps I'll just get a convertible for myself 😄

Thanks for your input ladies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    love our 7 seater! wouldn't go back to a 5 seater.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have three kids and a seven seater and will keep a seven seater. We're a one car family, but it makes it so much easier when they do have a friend over if we decided to head out...we're not limited to house/what's within walking distance when there is a friend over (my oldest is almost 9 and it's common among our group that they might end up going somewhere on a play date).
    We do have the option of separating them in the car if need be (so far we've only had to threaten it).

I actually can't think of any families that my kids are friends with who have three kids and don't have a 7 seater car.

I'd say those extra two seats are used probably 30-40% of the time.

I will say this...when we bought our seven seater car we looked at the tribeca but it was really small inside so we decided against it. We would have needed to have two kids sitting in the very back all the time to fit all the car seats in and be able to fold the seat in the middle down to let them in, and then we would have had no boot space.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have 3 kids and a 5 seater ... I'd love to upgrade! my dad has a 7 seater and we all pile in if we're all doing something together. I don't want a huge car though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would never buy a 7 seater 'just in case' of friends over. That's a bit strange.

DP and I have 5 kids between us and I would dearly love a 7 seater if I could afford it. If we only had 3 kids a 5 seater would be sufficient.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We keep our cars for 10 plus years so recently bought a 7 seater so if our family grows we can accommodate it. Also for friends and family. We actually really like the 7 seater we choose so didn't feel like a compromise.