+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    This is my routine.

5am up. Run bath for baby. Jump in shower and get dressed.
    5.30 am Bath Baby and morning bottle
    6am wake up older kids and get them ready for school
    6.30am out the door
    6.40am drop older 2 at before school care
    6.50am drop baby at childcare and play for 10 minutes to settle her in
    7.10 catch train to work. Study on train
    8am work
    4pm finish work and dash to the train station. Study on train.
    5pm pick up baby
    5.10pm pick up older kids
    5.30pm home. Older kids read readers while i feed baby and preheat oven.
    6pm i run a bath for older kids. They bath while i cook dinner and settle baby to bed.
    6.30pm eat dinner
    7pm older kids in bed. I prep lunch boxes ect for next day.
    7.30pm i walk the dog
    8pm i settle down and study for an hour
    9pm feed baby
    9.30pm bed
    Wake at 2am to feed baby.
    2.30am sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We both work FT.

Routine is

6am : DH wakes and goes off to the gym.

6.30am : I get up, shower and dress.

7am : DS wakes, I change and dress
    him then we have breakfast together. I leave for work as soon as DH gets home.

8am : DH drops DS at childcare.
    By then I'm usually already settle and working.

4.30pm : leave work and pick up DS.

5.15pm : Play/quality time with DS either at home if diner isn't ready or the park

6pm : DH gets home, DS has diner

6.30pm : bath, bottle, brush teeth and book for DS

7pm : DS in bed.

Then the night is ours to have diner, study, watch a movie.
    We go to bed around midnight.

DS is 2yo.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Lozby  (03-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    On the days we have the kids:

5am DH and I wake
    5.30am Shower and Dress
    5.45am Kids Wake
    6.15am Bus
    6.50am Kids and I get off and walk to school, DH continues to work in city.
    7am Kids are signed in and I start work (I now work at OOSH at their school)
    10am I have a break until 2pm, so I go home and do some tidying.
    1pm Back to work
    2pm Start work
    4.30pm DH finishes work
    5.30 pm DH gets home and preps dinner
    6pm I finish work and sign the kids out
    7pm Kids and I get home, they have showers while I organise lunches, etc for next day. DH serves dinner.
    7.20pm Dinner
    7.30-8.30pm Homework and part of a movie/reading
    8.30pm Toilet, teeth and bed
    8.45pm Kids are asleep
    9.30/10pm DH and I go to bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Not sure on where you live and climate but could you and DD go with your DH and doggie for a walk in the afternoon/evening? It's a nice time to chat and what not. Or do alternates- give each other a break even?

P.S. Not sure if this has already been suggested.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Possibly de-railing but....

Where is people quality of life? Most of the responses seem to be up at 5-6; busy all day; maybe an hour of family time; bed early or up late. How do you do it? Why do you do it?

Can you not achieve a better work-life balance?

Not having ago, just genuinely curious.

Our routine (dd and I- single parent)

6am: wake up, feed chickens, potter in garden, pick food, water plants.
    6.45: wake up DD, make breakfast smoothies, get DDs clothes out, get dressed,
    7.20: get in car and drive to work/kindy
    7.50: arrive at Kindy and sign in
    8.00: arrive at work
    5.00: finish work and pick DD up
    5.40: get home, let out chooks, play in yard, garden, feed and put away animals
    6.30: come inside cook dinner
    7.15: eat dinner
    7.45: DD baths while I do dishes
    8.00: story and lights out
    8.10: make lunches for next day
    8.30: do whatever. Usually FB addiction sometimes read a book, call friends, watch a movie.

It doesnt always go to plan. Some days DD won't go to sleep. Some days I'm tired and go to bed early.

I don't do any household chores except on weekends. I also don't work Fridays.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by nudge88 View Post

Where is people quality of life? Most of the responses seem to be up at 5-6; busy all day; maybe an hour of family time; bed early or up late. How do you do it? Why do you do it?

It is called 3 kids including a 2 month old baby. I do it so we have money to pay the mortgage and buy food. I leave early to get to work so i am home before 6pm so i can spend the evening with my kids, talking, teaching them to cook, hear their readers, tuck them into bed. My older kids have always woken up at 6am so as long as everything is ready, it is simple to get out the door at 6.30

Having quality 1 on 1 time is better then ignoring each other with tv ect. That is my opinion anyway.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxwell's Silver Hammer For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (05-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tastychicken View Post
    It is called 3 kids including a 2 month old baby. I do it so we have money to pay the mortgage and buy food. I leave early to get to work so i am home before 6pm so i can spend the evening with my kids, talking, teaching them to cook, hear their readers, tuck them into bed. My older kids have always woken up at 6am so as long as everything is ready, it is simple to get out the door at 6.30

Having quality 1 on 1 time is better then ignoring each other with tv ect. That is my opinion anyway.
    I agree quality over quantity. I pay for some services occasionally so I can spend more time at home with DH and DD rather than spend every spare waking minute at home cleaning but I appreciate not everyone has that luxury.

Also, just because some of us work long hours doesn't necessarily mean we are all miserable and exhausted. While I have my moments where I feel run down, I do get a lot of personal satisfaction out of my work as a big part of my job involves helping people at the community level and I feel I'm contributing not just to my family, but also to society. I often cop the attitude "oh you poor thing working so many hours and never seeing your DD, how sad" but it's not the case at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulK View Post

Also, just because some of us work long hours doesn't necessarily mean we are all miserable and exhausted. While I have my moments where I feel run down, I do get a lot of personal satisfaction out of my work as a big part of my job involves helping people at the community level and I feel I'm contributing not just to my family, but also to society. I often cop the attitude "oh you poor thing working so many hours and never seeing your DD, how sad" but it's not the case at all.
    This is what I was wondering. Whether people worked long hours because they want to or whether they do it because they have to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

8.30: do whatever. Usually FB addiction sometimes read a book, call friends, watch a movie.

It doesnt always go to plan. Some days DD won't go to sleep. Some days I'm tired and go to bed early.

How do I do it? I have to, so I do.
    Why do I do it? I have to, so I do.

Funnily, this IS a better work-life balance than before. Before, I would work 6am-8pm, DH would work 7am-7pm. The kids would spend the hours outside OOSH with a nanny. We only ever saw them at the weekend, because we were gone by the time they woke, and back after they were asleep.

We have a great quality of life. We're all early birds. So we get up by 6am even when we don't need to- the kids too. I don't see how an hour of family time each day is too little (especially if it is actual family time, and not just people being in the house together)? Maybe because we never used to get that.

If I left all household chores until the weekend, I wouldn't see much of the kids then either. Weekends are family time. Other than shopping, cooking and tidying as we go, the weekends are about us.

ETA: I actually don't see much of a difference between your routine and everyone else's.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (06-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Wow this is a old thread!
    I guess I see our quality of life in our weekend, other than hanging or bringing in washing no house work gets done. DD has ballet and swimming other than that the weekend is about the 3 of us spending time together, doing things with friends of me having a few hours off or dh playing golf.
    Also, in the beautiful house we will soon live in (building) the o/s holiday we have at least once of not twice a year. We could manage on one wage but not with the luxuries. I also enjoy my job it challenging and finally rewarding. So that's why I do it 😄