+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Why not? It only takes one person to put a kid to bed.
    Yes but in the context of the OP's post, she's asking for how to cut down time with the family's nightly routine as she's struggling to do the 'kid dinner, bath, play, adult dinner, etc' in the short time between getting home after work and needing to get DD to bed. If DH was able to be home for an extra half hour at that critical time in he evenings (also considering he gets home later) he could help more with DD and spend more time with her and maybe they could even all eat as a family or something rather than having to effectively split their evening into two meals and not even sit down together as a couple until after 8.30pm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    That's 30 minutes that could be spent cooking dinner, doing ironing. Getting on top of the house so the OP can 'relax' earlier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Exactly I'm home alone at night. Yes I'm struggling with house work but that's because I also go to sleep when DD does.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Hi OP I just had a re read of your initial post and one thing that struck me is that there is a lot of wasted time from 7-8:30. Essentially 1.5 hours to have a bath and read books. Perhaps your hubby could bath dd at 7 while you walk the dogs (so he gets time with her) then you do books at 7:30 while hubby works on your dinner then bed 7:45 and you can eat at 8ish?
    ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GlasgowRose View Post
    So as the title suggests I'm looking for ways to improve our home routine, both dh and I work full time, both 50 hours per week ish. I'm lucky enough that I can work from home and generally have a lot of flexibility. Our routine looks like this

5:45-6: dog wakes dh walks him
    6-6:30: i get up and shower, dd wakes during this period, I get her up.
    6:30-7: I finish getting ready and dress dd while dh showers.
    7-7:30: we all have breakfast and aim to be out the door by 7:30 at the latest. On days I work from home I start at 7:30.

5:30-6: get home with dd, settle her with an episode of something and snack. While I get organised, heat her dinner,
    6-6:30: dd has dinner, I usually stick in a load of washing or do prep for our dinner. Play with the dog, feed him, tidy up after dd.
    6:30-7: dd and I pay for half an hour, whatever she wants.
    7: dh gets home says hi to us and walks the dog usually back by 7:30. Dd and I go upstairs to run the bath, I stick the iron on and usually do a few bits, dd loves to take clothes and put them in her drawers so it's a bit of a game too.
    7:30-8:15dh baths dd while I cook dinner, they come back down stairs and we eat at 8.
    8:15 dh take dd upstairs for books before bed, bed at 8:30.
    On a good night sit down at 8:30.
    We go to bed around 10-10:30, dh hangs out any washing when he goes up to check in dd. Often I do other jobs, mop the floor etc

It's exhausting! So how can we do it better? Ideally dd would be in bed at 8pm.

Thanks!
    Bath your DD at 7pm, do a house job with her like the ironing, get DH to read her books and put her to bed at 7.30pm...lights out at 8pm. In that time you can spend the 30 minutes doing a couple of housework things, finish off dinner and you two eat at 8pm. If your DH doesn't want to give up bathing DD during the week take turns walking the dog.
    I'd eliminate ironing too...we don't iron in our house. If you wear business shirts that need ironing do them on the weekend so it's all ready to go for the week and you don't need to do that. If you can't iron on the weekend, we used to iron our clothes for the day in the morning...only took a few minutes. Now I've realised how unnecessary ironing is for 95% of clothes I rarely iron.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Hi OP I just had a re read of your initial post and one thing that struck me is that there is a lot of wasted time from 7-8:30. Essentially 1.5 hours to have a bath and read books. Perhaps your hubby could bath dd at 7 while you walk the dogs (so he gets time with her) then you do books at 7:30 while hubby works on your dinner then bed 7:45 and you can eat at 8ish?
    ?
    Yes I came to a similar conclusion. I find on the nights when we all get home "late" (after 6) we really struggle to get DD to bed at a reasonable time, it's so easy to lose track. Hence sometimes we get creative and eat dinner/read stories in the bath, or eat on the way home from daycare, or skip the bath and playtime and just lay in bed talking about our day before lights out. Sometimes as working parents of a young kid we need to get creative otherwise we would still be faffing around at 10pm!
    Last edited by MsViking; 14-09-2014 at 13:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I did read the OP just offering up what worked for us. That way both parents are home to do all things related to getting kids to bed then alone time can come later.

At the end of the day it's about priorities and none of us can tell the OP how she should work her priorities, but just offer suggestions.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (14-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the replies, some really good suggestions. !

This really made me think...

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    ?
    That actually from 6-8:30 there's a lot phaffing around. So last two nights as soon as de has finished dinner it's been straight upstairs at 6:30, a bit of a play and a bit of ironing while the bath runs, aim to be getting in the bath as soon as dh gets in. Then I do dinner and we eat at 7:30, I take dd up to bed at 8 while dh goes out the dog. I think we can get better at this so she is in bed by 8. I'm reluctant to take on walking the dog, as I essentially do all other jobs around the house.

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    50hrs a week? OMG! I don't know how you cope!

We get up at 5.45am- have showers and get dressed. If I have time, I put a load of washing on. We're usually out the door by 6.45am. Drop DS off at before school care and I'm at work by 7am.

I work next to a westfield so do any shopping/errands at lunch time.

Finish work at 3pm and race to pick DS up from school (if I'm rostered on to work late than he goes to a casual after school care). Get home by 3:45pm. DS unpacks his lunch box, gets changed out of his school clothes and does his homework. Than he can have free time- whatever he wants to do. While I start dinner, do the washing, tidy up.

We eat about 6pm when everyone gets home. Finished by about 6:30pm and than it's bathtime and brush teeth. And in bed by 7pm, read books for 30min and lights out at 7:30pm.

That's on a good night mind you. We also have afternoon activities that get in the way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SimplyMum View Post
    50hrs a week? OMG! I don't know how you cope!

We get up at 5.45am- have showers and get dressed. If I have time, I put a load of washing on. We're usually out the door by 6.45am. Drop DS off at before school care and I'm at work by 7am.

I work next to a westfield so do any shopping/errands at lunch time.

Finish work at 3pm and race to pick DS up from school (if I'm rostered on to work late than he goes to a casual after school care). Get home by 3:45pm. DS unpacks his lunch box, gets changed out of his school clothes and does his homework. Than he can have free time- whatever he wants to do. While I start dinner, do the washing, tidy up.

We eat about 6pm when everyone gets home. Finished by about 6:30pm and than it's bathtime and brush teeth. And in bed by 7pm, read books for 30min and lights out at 7:30pm.

That's on a good night mind you. We also have afternoon activities that get in the way.
    On auto pilot most of the time! Thankfully I'm not in the office 10 hours a day. A lot of time is in the evenings, most nights dh and I are watching TV with our laptops out going through work sh!t that we didn't get done during the day. Sad.