+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Full time working parents - what's your routine?

So as the title suggests I'm looking for ways to improve our home routine, both dh and I work full time, both 50 hours per week ish. I'm lucky enough that I can work from home and generally have a lot of flexibility. Our routine looks like this

5:45-6: dog wakes dh walks him
    6-6:30: i get up and shower, dd wakes during this period, I get her up.
    6:30-7: I finish getting ready and dress dd while dh showers.
    7-7:30: we all have breakfast and aim to be out the door by 7:30 at the latest. On days I work from home I start at 7:30.

5:30-6: get home with dd, settle her with an episode of something and snack. While I get organised, heat her dinner,
    6-6:30: dd has dinner, I usually stick in a load of washing or do prep for our dinner. Play with the dog, feed him, tidy up after dd.
    6:30-7: dd and I pay for half an hour, whatever she wants.
    7: dh gets home says hi to us and walks the dog usually back by 7:30. Dd and I go upstairs to run the bath, I stick the iron on and usually do a few bits, dd loves to take clothes and put them in her drawers so it's a bit of a game too.
    7:30-8:15dh baths dd while I cook dinner, they come back down stairs and we eat at 8.
    8:15 dh take dd upstairs for books before bed, bed at 8:30.
    On a good night sit down at 8:30.
    We go to bed around 10-10:30, dh hangs out any washing when he goes up to check in dd. Often I do other jobs, mop the floor etc

It's exhausting! So how can we do it better? Ideally dd would be in bed at 8pm.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds like you have it sorted to me. Your dog is lucky to get so much attention, sadly ours gets walked 2-4 times a week
    Probably all I do differently is all the ironing at once during a night we are watching a movie or something, and kids go to bed earlier but they may be younger than yours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How old is your DD?

Sounds very similar to ours (minus the dog) but I would be aiming to get her in bed by 7.30. Not for her sake but for mine! 😃

Thanks
    Reviews
    She's 2.5 - she will not go bed at 7:30, not for a long time! It just ends up in her mucking around for 30 mins! Would rather keep her up and we enjoy the time together rather than have a bedtime battle. Plus then dh would only see her for 30mins. But I would like her in bed at 8.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What about you two eating dinner after she is in bed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think we may go back to that, we used to do that but always felt like we were eating so late!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know it's exhausting, but other than that, does this routine work for you?

My 2.5yr old is in bed at 6:30 but I'm pretty strict on home, dinner, bath, bed in quick succession.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's a pretty comprehensive routine ! We are in a similar situation. The main differences are:

- DD has dinner as soon as she gets home 5-5.30 (then maybe a snack or dessert plus a cup of milk a bit later if still hungry)
    - no dog so we don't have to worry about that. Kudos to you for being such a responsible pet owner !
    - DD doesn't have a bath every night , and on some nights she's so tired from daycare that we give her dinner in the bath
    - DHs work is a bit more flexible and his hours are a bit less so he generally does more around the house than me. I don't know how if cope doing everything you do!
    - sometimes if I'm getting home later and DD is too tired to play, we instead have a 'brekky date' in the morning before work/daycare. Either pancakes at home on the deck or at a local cafe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It works in the sense that all those things get done, but by 8:30 I feel like I'm ready for bed!
    If love to go to the gym more but just can't fit it in in the evenings unless it's after 7. Think I'll try dinner as soon as we get home at 6pm and then bath straight after, then dh can do dinner when he gets home and walk the dog late on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does the dog need two walks? Can you take it for its second walk sometime during the day while on the phone/ walk with a sandwich? Just seems like a big chunk of family time gets taken up. Or you could all go with your DH?

(FWIW I used to walk our dog twice a day before we had a baby, now she gets one walk a day!)