+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Small child in front seat...can I report

This afternoon there was a car travelling behind me with a small child of about 3 or 4yrs of age in the front seat of a sedan, definitely not a ute. I could not see any booster / car seat at all. I got the licence plate number of the car and would like to report it but don't know who to and if it would be followed up on anyway. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You can but sadly they won't and can't do anything. Unless they physically see it happen they can't give out any fines and it's generally too hard to find them again. All you can do is given them details and hope they keep an eye out for the car.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Perhaps a little white lie (driving erratically with am unrestrained child) might get more attention.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can report it to the police. As PP said they won't get charged unless they actually get caught but the police might still speak to them and give them a warning so hopefully they will restrain the child properly in future.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes the police can still go and visit the registered owner of the vehicle vas caution them. It might be just the thing that stops them from doing it again in future.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by callmedragon22 View Post
    Perhaps a little white lie (driving erratically with am unrestrained child) might get more attention.
    That's more than a little white lie!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by callmedragon22 View Post
    Wasting police time or making false reports to police are also crimes though (I assume you are joking PP)..

off topic I had somebody falsely report me once for erratic driving and received a letter in the post. I knew who did it - somebody tailgaiting me because I wouldnt drive 20 Ks over the speed limit for them I wanted to counter-report them but didnt have their rego _ I was actually concentrating on staying on the road like I should have been - it was a windy round and nowhere to pull over either

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is a very eye opening story on the net somewhere about an American woman leaving her son in the car while she ran into a store to pic up some headphones. From memory her son was was maybe 5-7 (?). He was playing a game, and didn't want to get out of the car. The family were leaving for a holiday and needed the headphones for the younger daughter to keep her happy on the plane. It was the last thing this mother needed to do before they left and she was in a hurry, so she made the quick decision to run in, as she checked that the weather was fine, she was parked directly out front and made sure her son was safe in the car for 5 mins. She ran in got item, came out son hadn't budged. A ' good citizen' saw her and reported it. It turned their lives upside down, she was looking at jail time, the financial costs of lawyers etc, and it left her son with a high anxiety about that they are going to take his mum away. Took a law abiding, loving mother away from her kids and turned her into a criminal. It's a brilliant article. This post just made me think of it, though different in circumstances as this is a moving vehicle so higher chances of danger. Sometimes it's a blurry line between good deed, esp if you would elaborate about erratic driving. Not saying I agree with a small child being in the front unrestrained.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer1 View Post
    There is a very eye opening story on the net somewhere about an American woman leaving her son in the car while she ran into a store to pic up some headphones. From memory her son was was maybe 5-7 (?). He was playing a game, and didn't want to get out of the car. The family were leaving for a holiday and needed the headphones for the younger daughter to keep her happy on the plane. It was the last thing this mother needed to do before they left and she was in a hurry, so she made the quick decision to run in, as she checked that the weather was fine, she was parked directly out front and made sure her son was safe in the car for 5 mins. She ran in got item, came out son hadn't budged. A ' good citizen' saw her and reported it. It turned their lives upside down, she was looking at jail time, the financial costs of lawyers etc, and it left her son with a high anxiety about that they are going to take his mum away. Took a law abiding, loving mother away from her kids and turned her into a criminal. It's a brilliant article. This post just made me think of it, though different in circumstances as this is a moving vehicle so higher chances of danger. Sometimes it's a blurry line between good deed, esp if you would elaborate about erratic driving. Not saying I agree with a small child being in the front unrestrained.

I would not say anything that was not the truth. What I saw was a small child in the front seat of a moving vehicle without any child restraints. No erratic driving so I would not say that if I reported it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer1 View Post
    We have a far less dramatic story. DH was with DD plus her two older cousins when he needed to pick up some milk. He parked directly outside the local milk bar and ran in for about 30 secs to grab the milk and came straight back, then went on with his day. The next morning a police car came to our house and asked for me (the registered owner) and said they'd received a report from someone who said there were three kids left in a hot vehicle (it was an 18 degree day) for half an hour (it was literally less then a minute) and were distressed (they were not, they were looking at an iPad sharing a bag of chips). I wasn't home but DH explained the situation and the cop basically rolled his eyes and said 'yeah, when I got there the shopkeeper said you'd just run in quickly, I really don't care I'm just following up because I have to'. He then proceeded to show DD the inside of his car and even let her press some buttons to set the lights and siren off. :-)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsViking For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (11-09-2014),Dreamer1  (11-09-2014)