+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Celiac disease and gluten free diet

So I suspect DS may have celiac disease so I have started to try and eliminate gluten from his diet, can anyone give me some tips of what every day stuff he can eat?

I've bought gluten free flour and also flutes free pasta. I've made some gluten free coconut bread for him and I have stopped giving him normal bread and weetbix etc.

How do they test for celiac disease?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If you want him tested for coeliac disease then you need to keep him on gluten. If not, they will require your child to do a gluten challenge for 3 months (ie eating a fair amount of gluten every day for 3 months) and often once someone goes off gluten, their symptoms become worse than before and often that person can't tolerate any gluten again and then they can't get a diagnosis.

If you suspect coeliac, go to the GP and ask for a coeliac panel to be done and coeliac gene testing, get a referral to a paed GI who will carry out the testing for coeliac. Remember - the blood tests can show false negatives in some coeliacs.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (10-09-2014),Maia  (10-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The initial test is a blood test.

However, you need to be eating a gluten containing diet for it to show a result.

You should speak to your doctor/dietitian before changing to a gf diet especially if you suspect coeliacs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok thanks ladies. He hasn't been completely gluten free as I only really started on Monday (tried to start last Friday but DH accidentally gave him weetbix for breaky on Sunday anyway)

Ok so I'll keep him eating normally then until I see a doc? Will my normal gp know about this stuff or do I need to see someone else?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    PS - I am coeliac, as is my mother and I am going through testing at the moment for DS2 - so I know how hard it is - it is horrible to see your child in pain and sick for long periods.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes it's really important to keep eating it and have that blood test

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Normal GP can arrange the bloods and the genes test (both are bulk billed so make sure they are both done) but then they will have to refer to a Paed GI. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    Ok thanks ladies. He hasn't been completely gluten free as I only really started on Monday (tried to start last Friday but DH accidentally gave him weetbix for breaky on Sunday anyway)

Ok so I'll keep him eating normally then until I see a doc? Will my normal gp know about this stuff or do I need to see someone else?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone

Will book him in tomorrow

I am not very clued up on any of this but I've looked at the pics of poo online (so gross but they are exactly what DS's look like) and he often complains of sore tummy and looks bloated.

Other than that I haven't noticed any other symptoms.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There are so many things those symptoms could be, but once you get a good Paed GI - they will hopefully work out what is going on.

Such a pain - DS2 used to bloat to the point he looked pregnant and couldn't bend down!

Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    Thanks everyone

Will book him in tomorrow

I am not very clued up on any of this but I've looked at the pics of poo online (so gross but they are exactly what DS's look like) and he often complains of sore tummy and looks bloated.

Other than that I haven't noticed any other symptoms.