+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavenBlue View Post
    Thanks for the responses ladies! Its given me some insight into other peoples lives and their journey. I have such a huge amount of guilt surrounding this issue. I was never a hardcore dedicated BFer before I had DS. My attitude was I will if I can. But then DP and MIL put so much pressure to be a 'good mum' and BF. Sadly now my self esteem as a mum has now become measured by my ability to BF. This already took a hit when it was found that DS was failing to gain weight. We began top ups 4 x daily and he is doing fine again. But this morning I woke up with a rather nasty case of mastitis again and I wasn't able to get it out via various methods so now it's back on the antibiotics (of which I keep a filled prescription of for the next bout-yes that's how often I get mastitis). I just don't know how much longer I can keep expecting my body to perform. I'm on motilium as well as my supply dropped with the return of my AF. I'm just a mess. Yet, I can't seem to come to the resolution to wean. It's like I can't let these issues beat me and I have to 'win' somehow. I guess in asking this question I wanted to see if it was 'ok' because I'd done 'enough' through comparison to others. I just can't seem to give myself permission to make that decision. It makes it even harder that I love feeding my DS and am finding the thought of not having those moments together anymore very sad.
    I just want to give you a great big hug!

Please don't compare yourself to other mothers because one thing I've learned over nearly nine years of being a mum is that the ONLY people who matter are you and your baby and what works for you. Every person and every baby are different and that is why comparison is futile and generally leads to useless mother guilt.

You have done more than enough! You are obviously a nurturing, loving, amazing mum and that isn't dependent on how you feed your baby, truly it isn't.

I think for some mothers, it doesn't matter how long you breastfeed for, there will always be some level of sadness, a grieving process and that's normal and ok. It doesn't mean you have to keep sacrificing your health though - your baby's mum matters too!

I don't mean to try and influence you in your decision but I just want to say, one mum to another. You have done brilliantly.

You have done enough xx

2. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (10-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I too had recurring mastitis during the 12 months I BF my second bub. 6 times I think. I would miss one feed to start the weaning process and boom! Mastitis! Anyway mine was caused by low iron and the second I started taking iron supplements I was able to wean over the next few months. Mastitis that often is not normal you should def go to your GP for a full check up.
    Good luck! Xxxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    @misskittyfantastico thank you so much for a lovely reply. That really cheered me up and helped me see another perspective. Helpful when I'm weighing up options. It's really nice to see the support here on bubhub!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @HeavenBlue you have done a fantastic job BF'ing as long as you have given the difficulties that you have experienced. I don't know that I would have done it as long as you if I were in a similar situation.

I started slowly weaning at 6 mths in preparation of returning to work. By 8 months, he was fully weaned. I was one of the lucky ones who had what I consider an easy journey - nothing like yours.

Be kind to yourself - being a good mum is not connected to whether or not your are BF'ing despite the unneeded pressure that you have been subjected to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I gave up when DD was 9.5 months actual / 6 months corrected, I thought I would feed until 12 months but I was exclusively pumping as we never got there with direct feeding so I had lots of issues with oversupply, painful blockages because of the pump etc.

It was a mixture of time constraints, starting uni again and TBH just wanting to be free from that damn pump!!!

I had mummy guilt when I first switched to formula but absolutely nothing changed in DD from when I was feeding EBM to formula so the guilt passed and I haven't regretted stopping when I did.

Good luck x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Still can't wean and she's 18 months. I'm ready to but she isn't.

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds is 7m and I'm starting to Mix feed with the intention to stop BF soon.

I am just too run down, and I'm not eating well enough to give him good nutrient-filled milk.

Certainly he's not that interested anyway. He'd rather solids and turns his head after a 2min bf, so I don't feel as guilty as I did a few weeks ago.

I'd love to BF longer but it's just not working well for us anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS1 self weaned just before 11 months. For the next 6 weeks I expressed, and he got a bit of cows milk and toddler formula before switching 100% to cow's milk at 12.5 months. I was sick of expressing, back at work 3 days per week (I didn't always find time to express at work), in the middle of moving house and I just found out I was pregnant again. DS2 is 11 months now and not yet weaned. I'm back at work 3 days a week from next week so he just goes without milk when I'm not around. I can't be bothered expressing. I'm in two minds about him weaning. I would feel guilty about weaning before 12 months too but in your case I'd feel justified!

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD has been down to 3 feeds since 11 months (straight after breakfast, straight after lunch, before bed). She just turned 1 and the only feed that lasts more than about 2 mins is the bedtime feed, she sometimes will skip the lunch feed if we are out. She never asks for the morning or lunch feed. I just offer them. I'm going to gradually drop the lunch feed over the next few weeks I think and then the morning feed. Will keep the bed one for a little bit and just juggle our bedtime routine around a bit so it isn't right before I put her down. My reason for weaning is mainly DD not being that interested when it's offered. She's never taken a bottle since she was a week old (much to my dismay lol) so we won't be replacing her bed boo.b with anything else - this is mainly why I'm going to keep that one for a while, plus she drinks quite a bit at bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I really am finding all your responses really interesting and informative. I really have been feeling lost in the subject but I've gained some brilliant insight here. Love to hear more stories if anyone else wanted to add?