+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I cut down DS's BF's to morning & night at about 16/17 months. I cut before bed feeds out in January and as off yesterday -Tuesday- I fully stopped the morning feeds (DS turned 3 on Monday). I originally was going to let him self wean but he never showed any sign of stopping.

Best wishes OP!

ETA: I wanted to stop sooner but like a PP mentioned I didn't have energy (emotionally/physically to really actively wean)
    Last edited by wobbleyhorse; 10-09-2014 at 11:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Went to mixed feeding (2 formula bottles during the day, breast first thing in morning and just before bed) at 6 months, as I was returning to work at 7 months. Bub gave up on the breastfeeding at 8 months and went to formula - it was quite a shock and I had a good few days of tears.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds I weaned at 19 months. I was touched out to the max and was losing my mind. He was wanting to feed every 30 mins during waking hours and every hr through the night.

Dd is now 6 months and we are still going. I plan to reevaluate at 12 months and see how I'm feeling then.

I don't love breastfeeding though, and I would definitely put my mental health first if necessary. Neither of my kids have ever taken a bottle which makes weaning tricky for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Thanks for the responses ladies! Its given me some insight into other peoples lives and their journey. I have such a huge amount of guilt surrounding this issue. I was never a hardcore dedicated BFer before I had DS. My attitude was I will if I can. But then DP and MIL put so much pressure to be a 'good mum' and BF. Sadly now my self esteem as a mum has now become measured by my ability to BF. This already took a hit when it was found that DS was failing to gain weight. We began top ups 4 x daily and he is doing fine again. But this morning I woke up with a rather nasty case of mastitis again and I wasn't able to get it out via various methods so now it's back on the antibiotics (of which I keep a filled prescription of for the next bout-yes that's how often I get mastitis). I just don't know how much longer I can keep expecting my body to perform. I'm on motilium as well as my supply dropped with the return of my AF. I'm just a mess. Yet, I can't seem to come to the resolution to wean. It's like I can't let these issues beat me and I have to 'win' somehow. I guess in asking this question I wanted to see if it was 'ok' because I'd done 'enough' through comparison to others. I just can't seem to give myself permission to make that decision. It makes it even harder that I love feeding my DS and am finding the thought of not having those moments together anymore very sad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    OP have you been getting good support and advice with your feeding issues? It sounds like something anatomical it happening. It doesn't sound like just a supply or latch issue at all. Hugs for having to cope with those struggles!.
    I'm really not sure. The MCHN nurse I'm seeing for DS weigh in and check ups is also an LC. But we've found no answers yet. Thanks for the kind words but I'm starting to think maybe I just wasn't meant to be a long term BFer?

Thanks
    Reviews
    13 months. Hubby and I had an overseas wedding to attend with no children allowed. Dd had pretty much weaned herself and my supply was so low, that my milk dried up on the 3rd day of our holiday.

I was over it, but I would have continued if dd wanted to. When we came back, she was not interested at all so I didn't bother trying to relactate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    #1 was 4 months old, due to recurrent mastitis.
    #2 was 2 months old, due to recurrent mastitis.
    #3 was 2.5yo, he chose to wean. I also had recurrent mastitis with him, but I regretted weaning early with the other two, I was so determined to not let stinking mastitis get the better of me and my breastfeeding goals. I did lots and lots of research and tried everything to avoid mastitis, I eventually went on a long term high dose of AB's, which eventually did the trick at about 6 months of age. I still had to be vigilant with taking care of my boobies, but didn't have another bad case of mastitis again. I am so so glad I didn't give up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    About 3 days old from BFing - too painfull, hated it. Weaned off formula/bottle at 12/13 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP you really have done the hard yards already, it tends to get much easier as you go on and definitely after 6 months. Not sure about all the mastitis though, that seems extreme!
    I would try to see a private LC for another opinion, maybe there is something that can be done to prevent the mastitis?
    And then if not, maybe you will become more at peace with the weaning.

I weaned my 2 at 17 and 18 months, I was we'll over it by then and felt I had done enough!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    #1 was 4 months old, due to recurrent mastitis.
    #2 was 2 months old, due to recurrent mastitis.
    #3 was 2.5yo, he chose to wean. I also had recurrent mastitis with him, but I regretted weaning early with the other two, I was so determined to not let stinking mastitis get the better of me and my breastfeeding goals. I did lots and lots of research and tried everything to avoid mastitis, I eventually went on a long term high dose of AB's, which eventually did the trick at about 6 months of age. I still had to be vigilant with taking care of my boobies, but didn't have another bad case of mastitis again. I am so so glad I didn't give up.
    Tell me more as every time I get another bout I just go on this devastating emotional roller-coaster. The emotional damage is far worse then anything physical it could ever do to me.