+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week

Default When and why did you wean?

I so very much love BF my DS but due to several issues, weaning is on my mind. Bub has recently become mix fed due to supply and weight gain issues. I also suffer from recurrent mastitis with an estimation of 15-20 bouts. DS is 5 months old and my health has just taken so many hits over the last months. I was so adamant that I would feed him till he was 1 or 2 but now my thoughts are shifting to our overall well being. So like the title asks, when and why did you wean.

This whole thing is breaking my heart but how much does my health have to suffer before I hang up the BF hat, so to speak?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    With dd1, I stopped at 5 weeks because I had supply issues and the LC I spoke to didn't offer any support or advice, so I felt like I had no other option.

With dd2, I stopped at 3 months because it was affecting my mental wellbeing and I knew we would be happier with her on formula.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    Subbing. DD is 5 months and I hope to breast feed her for as long as possible, but I'm also really enjoying leaving her with DP while I have me time and arranging this around feeds can be difficult.

It's also so beautiful to see the way DP and DD look at each other when DP gives her a bottle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I weaned dd1 at 19mths old when I was 7mths preggers with dd2. I was sore, tired and over it. But I was emotionally devastated and determined to bf my next till 2yo. Failed that too when due to external circumstances I weaned at 18mths.

Next bub I will get to 2yo!!!

It broke my heart to stop feeding. But at the time it was the best thing to do. Hugs OP. Give yourself a break. You are important too.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I mixed fed (approx 80% BF, 20% formula) both of mine, mostly due to supply issues. DD I switched to full time formula at 8 months, DS I switched at 10 months.

I enjoyed breastfeeding a lot more with DS as I embraced the mixed-feeding experience/advantages. With my 1st I felt like mixed feeding was a failure on my part and had such a negative breastfeeding experience as a result.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    Ds is mixed fed. We are currently weaning. He is 1 next week. Some days he is happy with formula other days all he wants is b00b. My supply has been shot since day 1 so is hit and miss now. I do miss bf him but with his chompers he bites alot and it hurts. I have slowly introduced cows milk with his cereal but thats it.

I should add I pumped when I returnes to work which was exhausting. I ended up getting sick and had to focus and getting my energy back

♥ me & my little boy ♥

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD weaned at 16mths after I had gastro and my supply dropped. I was so sad as it was really unexpected and I missed it. My DS is 22 mths - I am about to start the weaning process as I am over it. He loves it though so will be interesting to see how it goes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    6months as I was returning to work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    OP have you been getting good support and advice with your feeding issues? It sounds like something anatomical it happening. It doesn't sound like just a supply or latch issue at all. Hugs for having to cope with those struggles! X

I have weaned down to just a morning and night feed only at 11 months. I am now pretty happy to let him have these feeds until he self weans (which was always my plan) BUT I am now pregnant again so it looks like I will be tandem feeding. This is something I did not expect so I have been toying with the idea of weaning. Honestly tho I am not sure that I have the emotional or physical energy to wean. I'll be reading along to hear some more mums experiences with this.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS weaned about a week ago at 19 months. I just didn't offer boob but instead gave him a cuddle and he happily had a cuddle then went off to bed. So super easy.

Wanted to get to 2 but at 36 weeks pregnant I had no milk and it hurt and I just wasn't enjoying it anymore. I decided it would be better to have a break than go into DS2's bf journey already resenting it.