+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default God Parents

Hi everyone,
    Just wondering how to legally choose god parents for my son. Do I need to have a ceremony of some form or what lol
    I feel stupid for asking but I really have no idea!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    I believe it is included in your will.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah! Ok. I might need to do one eventually lol
    Never thought of it being in a will lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    God parents are just symbolic and are usually people you choose to provide guidance to your kids and you have either a baptism, christening or non religious ceremony.

Legal guardians are the people you want to care for your children in the event of your death and you need to put that in your will.

Hope that helps

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (10-09-2014),JAG242  (10-09-2014),LoveLivesHere  (10-09-2014),ozteric  (10-09-2014),Starfish30  (10-09-2014),SuperGranny  (10-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Every parents Needs to have a will. If it is important to you who takes care of your child, than it something you need to do.
    You can buy will kits from post offices and new agents. Than there is public trustee that can do them (most are free) for you or a private lawyer but will have a higher cost.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SimmyN View Post
    Ah! Ok. I might need to do one eventually lol
    Never thought of it being in a will lol
    Try to get it done ASAP. It's really important.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    God parents are just symbolic and are usually people you choose to provide guidance to your kids and you have either a baptism, christening or non religious ceremony.

Legal guardians are the people you want to care for your children in the event of your death and you need to put that in your will.

Hope that helps
    Thanks! That really explains it well.

Seems like such a silly question to ask. I will get on to getting a will done ASAP. We have chosen who would take care of DS in the event of our death and they know about it but I know if we don't have it in writing legally done there will be a massive fight between families. My MIL already said that if something happened to us she would have him. I explained to her who we have chosen and she got all defensive.
    I love my MIL (I have no relationship with my mum so having her to talk to is great) but I am not comfortable with her being his sole carer.

Thank you everyone!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    If you appoint guardians it's a good idea to deal with how the guardian will pay for your children. W have 4 kids and if both of us die that's a big burden for others to take on so we have made provision for housing and trusts to cover day to day and schooling.

Remember even if appointed in the will the guardian can decline if they feel they can't do it for whatever reason so it's an appointment that needs lots of thought.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (10-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I agree. We have put a lot of thought in to who would take care of our son in the horrible circumstance. We settled on my partners cousin and her fiancé. They have 2 children of their own and are wonderful parents. I did have a lengthy convo with his cousin about finances and if they felt it would be a burden but they said they'd be honoured. They always wanted a big family and I know they have decent incomes (successful business owners) I feel like we have made the perfect choice. I feel comfortable knowing someone will take care of DS with love and support like he were their own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You can also provide a guardian who provides care and someone seperately to manage finances too. My SIL will have DD if we die, but my mother will handle all associated finances and ongoing provisions.