+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Truffle View Post
    My now 3 year old started having problems with constipation at 2. We see a paediatric gastroenterologist at RCH. We got a referral for him through our GP.

DS is on Osmolax which is available without prescription. It works by drawing water into the stool so it is easier for him to pass. Our gastroenterologist did not want us to use Parachoc as long term use causes the bowel not to do it job properly.

Constipation is a long term problem and won't be fixed quickly. We are more than 12 months now. Our gastroenterologist wanted DS fully toilet trained before trying to reduce his dose of Osmolax. We have just achieved this (we have been dry for ages but only just mastered poops) so next appointment will discuss weaning him off the Osmolax.

I think you need to see someone and get a plan in place. Constipation is no fun for anyone. Good luck.
    Thank you Truffle, by RCH do you mean royal children's hospital in Melbourne? We are in Victoria.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Qrazelna View Post
    I would continue to offer her plenty of water and try probiotics that are suited to her age. My friend used the bioceuticals brand but I believe Inner Plus also makes a product suited to her age. It balances the good gut bacteria. And like you said it could be psychological now but maybe with taking these probiotics it'll help and if she can understand that what she is taking will help her have painless poops she might go. And once she has painless poops she shouldn't be too wary of it in the future. I know it's a big ask for a 2 year old to understand but it doesn't hurt to try.
    Thank you, she does currently have probiotics daily, because she was prone to ear infections and was taking a lot of antibiotics before having grommets put in, so she's been on them for a while now. I will keep try to increase her water intake.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you also to Ali19 and Maia. I appreciate your advice.

I do think it's dairy related, but unfortunately being a fussy toddler she won't eat a huge variety of foods, cheeky thing

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 3bubbys For This Useful Post:

Ali19  (10-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 3bubbys View Post
    Thank you Truffle, by RCH do you mean royal children's hospital in Melbourne? We are in Victoria.
    Yes I do mean the Royal Children's Hospital. I really do think you need to see someone as it sounds like it's been going in for a while for your DD.

I don't think our issue is food related I think it is psychological. I believe when it was extremely hot near his 2nd birthday he dud not drink enough. This caused his stool to get very hard and difficult to pass. This has caused long term problems for him.

Ironic really as both his Dad and I have IBS!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Truffle For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (11-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had huge issues with our ds for well over 6mths. He had one bad case of constipation and I'm sure that's what caused it. After that he would hold on. Sometimes for weeks!! Every few days he would have a leakage and be dancing around crying and saying 'ouchies mum'. I kept telling him it was OK and he would feel much better after he had a poo etc. I would strip him off and massage his belly, bring his knees up to his chest etc. The only thing that worked for him was to leave him alone in a quiet dark room. I could hear him crying and struggling but every time I would go in he would scream and tell me to go away

We increased his water and fibre. Tried movicol for kids and movicol chocolate, parachoc, coloxyl.....everything available for kids, we tried. We had x-rays and ultrasounds. Everything looked normal (except for the huge build up of course!). The doctor then wanted us in the next day for 'manual extraction'. My last resort, in order to avoid putting my son through that, was a suppository. Pretty sure it was harder for me than him! 45mins and 3 nappies later, I had a happy boy! Since then we have had no issues. We always praise him after a poo and he always ask to look (gross I know!) but whatever works! The doctor also recommended applying a small amount of sudocream just inside his anus after a poo.

Sorry for the novel. I hope things improve for you soon xx

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackDiamond For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (11-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Truffle View Post
    Yes I do mean the Royal Children's Hospital. I really do think you need to see someone as it sounds like it's been going in for a while for your DD.

I don't think our issue is food related I think it is psychological. I believe when it was extremely hot near his 2nd birthday he dud not drink enough. This caused his stool to get very hard and difficult to pass. This has caused long term problems for him.

Ironic really as both his Dad and I have IBS!
    Thanks Truffle, we're seeing the GP in the morning so ill definitely be asking for a referral.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BentzMumma View Post
    We had huge issues with our ds for well over 6mths. He had one bad case of constipation and I'm sure that's what caused it. After that he would hold on. Sometimes for weeks!! Every few days he would have a leakage and be dancing around crying and saying 'ouchies mum'. I kept telling him it was OK and he would feel much better after he had a poo etc. I would strip him off and massage his belly, bring his knees up to his chest etc. The only thing that worked for him was to leave him alone in a quiet dark room. I could hear him crying and struggling but every time I would go in he would scream and tell me to go away

We increased his water and fibre. Tried movicol for kids and movicol chocolate, parachoc, coloxyl.....everything available for kids, we tried. We had x-rays and ultrasounds. Everything looked normal (except for the huge build up of course!). The doctor then wanted us in the next day for 'manual extraction'. My last resort, in order to avoid putting my son through that, was a suppository. Pretty sure it was harder for me than him! 45mins and 3 nappies later, I had a happy boy! Since then we have had no issues. We always praise him after a poo and he always ask to look (gross I know!) but whatever works! The doctor also recommended applying a small amount of sudocream just inside his anus after a poo.

Sorry for the novel. I hope things improve for you soon xx
    Thanks BentzMumma, your poor boy! It's terrible it's it. I really don't know how she holds it in for so long, but she's a determined little thing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    my daughter was the same.. and my son. in the end they would bleed, it was horrible.. and yes, they would go about once every 6-7 days.. I tried, movical, parachoc, coloxyl, prunes, pears, and in the end Osmolax worked the best. I had them tested for intolorences as well and even tho they were not intolorent to cows milk etc, they were what you would call 'lactose sensitive''.. the pead advised to put them on a soy diet and then after 2 years to wean off onto Zymil lite and it's much better now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    my daughter was the same.. and my son. in the end they would bleed, it was horrible.. and yes, they would go about once every 6-7 days.. I tried, movical, parachoc, coloxyl, prunes, pears, and in the end Osmolax worked the best. I had them tested for intolorences as well and even tho they were not intolorent to cows milk etc, they were what you would call 'lactose sensitive''.. the pead advised to put them on a soy diet and then after 2 years to wean off onto Zymil lite and it's much better now.
    Thanks Minchi, did it take long after you put them on a soy diet for the constipation to improve?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3bubbys View Post
    Thanks Minchi, did it take long after you put them on a soy diet for the constipation to improve?
    I don't know if it was the soy diet alone, but together with Osmolax I saw improvements within a fortnight.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (11-09-2014)