+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Chronic constipation in 2 year old..HELP

Hi, I'm just after some advice or suggestions for my 2 year old DD, she's basically been constipated since she turned 1. We've tried, prunes, pears, prune juice, high fibre with no success.

We initially tried coloxyl which did nothing. Then we moved onto lactulose which worked for a while but then stopped becoming hugely effective so I stopped that too because I didn't want her body to get immune to it.
    It's now a vicious cycle, she knows it's going to hurt so she holds it in and holds it in for 4-6 days and then when she finally does go her anus bleeds and there is a small tear there.

We saw the MCHN at 2 who suggested to re-start the lactulose at a higher dose to force her to go more frequently and hopeful heal her fissure. It's been 4 weeks now and it hasn't helped. She's going on average every 5 days. Tonight was the worst, she hasn't had a bowel movement for 6 days, she started crying 'belly hurts, belly hurts' and it was as hard as a rock! She was inconsolable, I tried bath, rubbing her tummy, and finally she passed a massive bowel motion, like huge. She then said 'belly better now'
    Obviously this is very distressing and we need to get on top of it.. What else can people recommend? I've made a GP appointment but do I ask to see a paediatrician?

What medication can I try in the meantime? I really think it's mostly psychological now, she's terrified to poo and holds it in for days and days, how can you teach a 2 year old not too?!!!

Please help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Poor darling. What a scary thing for her to endure. Anal fissures are horrible and extremely painful so I can understand her not wanting to poo. It's like passing glass. Are you able to get some proctocedyl and rub on her anus? It's an anaesthetic cream so pooping isn't painful and it helps to heal the fissure.
    Does she drink much water?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fiery For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (09-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Poor darlin. My dd used to be really bad she is 5 now and still gets constipated every now and then. We used parachoc which worked sometimes and then we used movicol junior. This worked quite well. I have found that if dd has too much dairy it really blocks her up.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bubbasmum For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (09-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So sorry to hear.
    Both my kids hold/held their poos in.

My first son stopped holding it in when he FINALLY toilet trained properly. Now he has no issue.

My second son is still in nappies and holds on as well. It's painful!

We use parachoc religiously and add Actilax if needed. High fibre diet. Minimise bananas. Lots of water.
    He still manages to hold it in.
    We have used glycerine suppositories which help by melting around the poo and lubricating it out.

If it gets serious, my next port of call is going to be microlax enemas which as they are chemical, work by stimulating the bowel. Ds2 is not going to have much choice in holding the poo in with this.

Unfortunately, you have to be religious with the parachoc or Actilax. Once constipated, the bowel stretches, and takes time to go back to usual size. I'm talking about 6 months or so.
    Microlax is not the medication to use religiously though. This would cause a dependency/lazy bowel habit if used all the time.

My ds1's friend had similar issues. His parents took him to a gastro paed. Apparently the consistency you are looking for is actually quite loose compared to what you would think. I was shocked when the mum told me it should be about the width of a finger or two.

You will need to adjust the meds up or down. Start with parachoc and add on Actilax. Use large amounts yo start so bowel movements are quite loose to start and then adjust down.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to moongazer For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (09-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you fiery, bubbasmum and moongazer, I really appreciate your responses.

Sorry I don't know how to multi quote.

Fiery, she doesn't like to drink much water but still has a bottle twice a day (bad I know) so I water it down 50-50. But other than that she won't drink much. I will ask the chemist for proctocedyl, thank you!

Thanks bubbasmum, mum, ill look into parachoc and movicol junior. Did they ever find a reason for your daughters constipation?

Thank you also moongazer, parachoc seems to be the way to go. I was about to ask my husband to go out and get an enema but I know they're not for long time use. Will a GP give me a referral to a gastro paed or would I need to see a regular paed first I wonder?

Gosh it's so heartbreaking my 6 year old was with me when this was all happening tonight and she kept asking if the 2 year old was going to die because 2 year old DD was so distraught!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was never given a difinitive answer. I just kind of worked it out by process of elimination i suppose. All the CHN and GP I ever went to just gave me suggestions of what to use. I was never referred to a paed. I have also noticed that when DD is nervous about something she tends to get a bit blocked up as well. But mainly too much dairy, and junk food does it. Oh and also if she has too much carrot which she loves.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bubbasmum For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (10-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My now 3 year old started having problems with constipation at 2. We see a paediatric gastroenterologist at RCH. We got a referral for him through our GP.

DS is on Osmolax which is available without prescription. It works by drawing water into the stool so it is easier for him to pass. Our gastroenterologist did not want us to use Parachoc as long term use causes the bowel not to do it job properly.

Constipation is a long term problem and won't be fixed quickly. We are more than 12 months now. Our gastroenterologist wanted DS fully toilet trained before trying to reduce his dose of Osmolax. We have just achieved this (we have been dry for ages but only just mastered poops) so next appointment will discuss weaning him off the Osmolax.

I think you need to see someone and get a plan in place. Constipation is no fun for anyone. Good luck.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Truffle For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (10-09-2014),Maia  (10-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So sorry to hear this, it's awful for everyone.
    My dd was the same, daily actilax and in extreme cases I had to use suppositories. After cutting out dairy In her diet and replacing it with goats milk products (found in supermarkets) the issue resolved within 3mths.
    I know find whenever she has even just the smallest amount of dairy, it backs her up almost straight away. It such a horrible things to watch your child in pain, really hope you can find a resolution

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ali19 For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (10-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would continue to offer her plenty of water and try probiotics that are suited to her age. My friend used the bioceuticals brand but I believe Inner Plus also makes a product suited to her age. It balances the good gut bacteria. And like you said it could be psychological now but maybe with taking these probiotics it'll help and if she can understand that what she is taking will help her have painless poops she might go. And once she has painless poops she shouldn't be too wary of it in the future. I know it's a big ask for a 2 year old to understand but it doesn't hurt to try.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to azelqra For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (10-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We used coloxyl, lactulose, parachoc, movicol and I think some others before now using osmolax.

We see a pead. For our issue (started when he weaned, he is now 6). With a behaviour modification program and the change in medication, my then 4 year old went from complete toilet refusal to taking himself willingly.

We also saw a dietitian who through elimination diets worked out wheat is not our friend.

We still haven't been able to wean off medication but we're getting there.

I would see a pead. particularly if this is going on for more than any once off. As someone said, chronic constipation is a long term problem that needs a long term solution. If you stop treatment too early and the bowel hasn't shrunk and feeling returned to normal then you start the whole process over again. Seek help, you don't have to face this alone.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Maia; 10-09-2014 at 07:35.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Maia For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (10-09-2014)