+ Reply to Thread
    BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    The Kitchen
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Dermoid Cyst

So when I went and saw a GP as my AF was missing, a ultrasound showed that I had a cyst that was 2.9cm on my left ovary. Fast forward 14 years Whilst I am pregnant it's noted that my cyst is now 6.5cm but this is normal with just having ovulated, (logical I guess as I was 5w pregnant). 2 years later I had to have a CT Scan. this picks up the cyst again and mY GP says I need an ultrasound.. get the ultrasound it's the same size and now I need to see a surgical Gynno to get it removed ASAP..

someone wanna explain why it's suddenly important after 16 years to get it removed? it's not causing pain, it's not growing out of control and frankly I don't want another operation. What's the harm with just having it monitored?

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Even though the cyst hasn't grown in size, is it near a vein or something that it could interfere with? 6.5cm isn't that small, I don't think they like to leave them as they can twist the ovary and cut off blood supply which could lead to losing the ovary (and an awful lot of pain). The gynaecologist will be able to tell you whether it can be monitored or whether it really should come out.

I had a CT scan late last year (for another reason) and they found a 5cm fluid filled cyst that they decided to leave alone. I fell pregnant almost straight after, and at 6 weeks pregnant landed in emergency with severe pain. It had grown from 5cm to 11.5cm in under 3 months and had also developed a dermoid cyst on top of the fluid cyst (apparently extremely unusual). They thought it would twist overnight and I was already at a very high risk of losing the ovary, so I was not allowed to leave the hospital and had to have emergency surgery a couple of days later. I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone and I really do wish they had dealt with it before it got to that stage instead of telling me not to worry about it. Even though yours hasn't done anything for ages doesn't mean it will stay that way I guess.

When I was 24 a cyst was found on my left ovary that was 15cm diameter. They went to remove it and ended up having to remove my ovary and fallopian tube with it because the cyst had kind of been sitting on them so long they were just mush really.
    So maybe it's not the size that's the issue, maybe it will do damage because it's been there so long? I don't know, just a thought!

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Yep what the above posters said. It's not the size that matters, it's the damage it can cause.