+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Right to choose

I am almost 5 months post pregnancy and have now been to 3 separate Doctors looking to get my tubes tied and no one will allow me to do it!
    I am getting really frustrated I don't understand why if it is my body I can't make this choice.
    I have taken a lot of time to think this through and I am 100% certain that under no circumstances will I have another baby- it is causing me a lot of unwanted stress.
    Does anyone know of a doctor in Perth who will discuss it with me at a minimum?

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Sorry. Don't have any advice.

Why won't they do it ?

How old are you and how many kids do you have?

I know way back ... my sister wanted hers done after her 2nd ... But she was only 20 and they refused. She ends up having it done only a couple if years ago (she is now 42) but they wouldn't when she was young (and no she didn't change her mind and have more kids)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We wanted a vasectomy after my first, but doctors refused to do it because we only had one and DH was 30 and I was 29 and they have a rule about it.

I agree with you though - it is your body, your choice, you should be able to decide what you want to do.

Good luck - I hope you find someone to help you out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    How old are you and how many kids do you have?
    I'd love to know the same, if you don't mind?

I'm in Perth and looking to have the procedure done after this pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am 29 and have just the one child
    Which is the argument I'm faced with! I understand their concern however I have only ever wanted one baby and now that I have her I am even more sure. And I feel as if it should be my choice.
    They keep saying to get my husband to get the snip ( which he won't do) but that just frustrates me more as why should he be able to choose but not me with it being the same outcome!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i had to beg Drs to give me a hysterectomy at 32 even after 7 miscarriages and 16 years of endometriosis so I hope you get what you want.. it truly does annoy me how others can tell us what we can and cant do with our own bodies... Its so wrong.... Good Luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not sure why the doctors think how many children you have matters? If you and your partner are happy that your family is complete then that's all that should matter surely. To me it's the doctor's job to make sure you understand the consequences of the procedure before you agree to it, that's informed consent, not to stop you from implementing your choice of birth control.

I don't have any suggestions about where to go next as I'm not in Perth but I just wanted to say I agree you should have the right to choose.

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    it is ridiculous.

It feels like the Doctors are saying

'You arent old/wise/grown up enough to decide for yourself, so sit down and be quiet ... we will make this decision for you.

Oh but of course your husband is a Man, so HE can decide for himself ...'

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (09-09-2014),believe  (09-09-2014),Liddybugs  (10-09-2014),Meld85  (10-09-2014),Mod-Nomsie  (10-09-2014),safam  (09-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GM01 View Post
    I'd love to know the same, if you don't mind?

I'm in Perth and looking to have the procedure done after this pregnancy.
    You may find it a bit easier than most.
    Dh is planning on getting the procedure and we were given a clear no at first as we only have 2 children, but once we explained dd2's prematurity and how we don't want to take that risk again it was perfectly fine.

OP, I agree that people should be able to make the choice, regardless of their age and/or the amount of children they have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Yeah it's bollocks alright - wonen should have the right to choose.

I'm in Perth and Michael Gannon was happy to tie my tubes during my c-section at KEMH. I was 33 at the time though with significant health issues.