+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Has anyone stopped bf & expressed for all feeds instead?

Has anyone stopped breastfeeding & switched to expressing instead?

How did you make it work? How often did you pump? - do i just pump after ive fed my baby? If so, how do i get the first feed of the day?

What if the amount you pumped wasnt enough for your baby? - did you have to top up with formula?

If I decide to do it, where would I hire a double electric pump from?

How could I make it work with a baby who likes to be held & doesnt like to sleep during the day?

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did, it wasn't easy I will admit, I regretted it. But, I will start this by saying I had a prem baby who wasn't a great feeder so my supply was shot from day one which didn't help.

I had to express every 2 hours or so for about 20 minutes at a time with a double pump (hired from the ABA). I got about 150ml per session between 12am-8am... so I did most of my expressing then. I could sometimes only get 50ml in the afternoon/night.

I had a clingy baby like yours and DH had to hold her while I expressed or I did one side at a time while I held her, so doubled the timing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (09-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you want to hire a pump, become an ABA member if you're not already. I think it's $60 a year but that allows you $25/week pump hire, where as it's about $50/week elsewhere. That's for the hospital grade symphony pump. It's great!
    Last edited by Anjalee; 09-09-2014 at 11:15.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I pumped for DS but he didn't need to be held all the time. He was happy to lie on the floor on a mat/gym or in a bouncer (unlike DD had to be with me 24/7 or she would howl).

There was no way I could ever pump to get enough to exclusively BF and it was a HUGE effort. There is the time involved not just in expressing but also cleaning and sterilizing the equipment and bottles, but also actually feeding your baby. As my Mum said, "you're double feeding" (meaning there was twice as much effort involved - the expressing and the feeding). I ended up expressing about 4 times a day which was about 1/3 of his feeds. In the 4 months that I did that I did not get to sit down once and relax because there was always expressing, washing, sterilizing, feeding or any of the other things you do when looking after a baby. I also never rarely got to leave the house because it would always coincide with either expressing or feeding.

Although DS was demand fed he had an inbuilt watch and wanted feeding EBM every 2 hours.

I know some women have had a lot more success in exclusive pumping though.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I did for 8 weeks... I brought a unimom double hospital grade pump which I used during the day and then used the manual one at night.

I agree with pps the sterilising can be a bit of a punish...I actually had the opposite problem though... I was getting 150-200mls a sitting which was way too much and my freezer was full with EBM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Meld85 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes. I expressed to feed my DS until he was 13 months old.

I had a premmie and pumped huge quantities of milk from the start. I was fortunate to have a great supply, in fact I had a complete oversupply! In the early days I would pump every three hours around the clock. I got by with a Medela Swing single pump.

I did breast feed on and off for a while, but by the time DS was 6 months old I was expressing all feeds.

DS was just never a champion breast feeder and it was just what worked for us (even though it was tiring and a lot effort for me).

I would have switched to formula sooner, but he refused to drink it whenever we tried him on it. I finally got him to drink formula by mixing it with breast milk and gradually increasing the ratio of formula until he was drinking all formula.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did it for 6 months with my DS. I didn't realise how hard it was until ive had another baby and seriously a 2yo and nb is a walk in the park compared to pumping full time. I also had bad pnd at the time, plus sever sleep dep plus pumping plus a VERY high needs demanding baby so it was no picnic.

I needed to pump every 3 hours x 8 times per day to meet DS needs. I started when ds was 3 weeks old as he refused to bf anymore and until 12 weeks had to supplement with ff if he wasn't satisfied after ebm.

From 12 weeks I was able to meet his needs but I was taking 6 motilium a day plus herbs of gold bf support to stop my supply tanking. I bought a double Medela pump and pumped for 10 mins which was until no more milk came out then an extra 5 mis for stimulation.

Lucky for me, DS was content on his playmat or bouncer next to me and I would chat while pumping. He was also a serial catnapper so he would nap 10mins here, 20 mins there and I'd pump during those times which meant no rest for me.

going out was ok, I just had to be bak home within 3 hours or I'd be spending the night in the shower massaging blocked ducts. Really with a small baby and constant exhaustion it was ok being out for short periods and I in no way let it interfere with our social activities.

youll need to transport it which meant cooler bag with ice brick and ill bring a thermos of hit water and another container and heat it up that way.

would I exclusively pump again? Not a chance in hell. I switched dd at 7 weeks to straight ff and haven't looked back, I have waaaay more time with 2 kids then what I did with one baby. Looking back I just can't believe I survived doing it and I have no idea how I did.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to adeline14 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are apparently FB groups set up for exclusively pumping mummas too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep. I pumped for months. Every 2-3 hours around the clock. I also had a clingy baby. And one who was difficult to settle. It was exhausting.
    But basically I did
    Pump first thing in morning after giving DD a bottle.
    Clean up bottles/freeze milk in portions...
    2 hrs later..repeat. ...
    2 hours later...repeat
    Well. .. You get the drift.
    It can be done. But it's not ideal. I had issues with supply too making it even harder.

You could try it. .. But I think that it may increase your anxiety and stress around your bub. It's also hard to put bub down. . Sit down and pump. ... Then clean up and stuff.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I did it for 7 months with DD. A gigantic effort to be honest. I would have to supplement with formula because my supply wasn't great - the breat pump doesn't stimulate milk production like a baby so I ended up on Motilium.

DD would have her first feed of the day from milk I had pumped the night before. After she was finished I would pump for the first time that day. Then every time she had a bottle I would try to pump afterwards. Often I wouldn't get enough for a full feed so she would have a half bottle of breastmilk and then a top up of formula. Very time consuming to feed a baby and then spend another 30 mins pumping.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post: