Log of experience with cord blood + tissue provider CellCare | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Log of experience with cord blood + tissue provider CellCare

So my wife and I are expecting in 7 weeks or so and we have decided to store cord blood and tissue for 25 yrs with CellCare.

Nothing much to report yet but I will update here as we progress to let you all know what the experience is like. As for cost it was a $250 deposit and around $230 per month for 2 years then nothing. This comes in around $5600 after a referral discount of $300. They store the blood + tissue for 25 yrs and give you 1 or 2 months to decide what to do at the end of that period.

We should be receiving the pack to sit in the car in the next few days. When my wife goes into labour we take the kit up with us and providing there are no complications the obgyn will harvest the blood and cord and store them in the cooler in pre labled medical storage bags and we call a courier to collect it.

So at this point that's all I really know, i'll report back when our new addition is delivered!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our doctor collects it and places it in the storage containers provided and I call a courier to collect the box. We have spoken to the Dr about this already.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Interested to know how the collection goes as we are currently deciding if we will do this or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I did this with the birth of my DS in June and a representative from Cell Care was present for my CS to collect the cord blood and tissue. If I remember correctly if you are only having the blood stored then the OB can do it but if you are having both stored then usually someone from Cell Care needs to collect the tissue as not all OB's can do this (or so I was told).

Anyway, we had a very positive experience with them and our collection went smoothly. We would use them again for #2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following for any future updates

Thanks
    Reviews
    Update: our DS was born 27th October and was all healthy delivered by csection at midday. Obgyn collected cord blood and tussue. I took the box out of theatre in the baby trolley while DS got his first feed with mum. As soon as I got a sec I called and they picked it up by about 3pm if memory serves me. The I got an update saying it was received at 8pm and in long term storage by 12 the next day. A few weeks later we got an update saying the quality and quantity was excellent and above average.

Now and then we get emails about new case studies using cord blood. A recent one was as a preventative measure against genetically predisposed diabetes. (Something like that) and that a girl in Perth was the first to get the procedure recently.

Now its just the pain of getting through 24 months of $222 payments per month..

Oh, and whether we would use it for bub #2 in the future... Not sure. Definitely worth it but you can use the blood on any family member
    Last edited by sjp770; 02-06-2015 at 18:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH and I have been discussing this today and are considering doing this for Bub when they are arrive by c-sec next month

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got cellcare, very happy with service. My obs started collection but cellcare lady there, since hosp policy was the ob can't be fully responsible for it.... If u do it for Bub one, do it for second if at all possible because it's for closely related donation that's awesome as self donation has its grey areas why it's not ideal .... My hubby is an ob himself, he was skeptical but very happy in the end with whole thing.... I work in medical research so, well that says enough....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your input. I hadn't thought about it until today. The plan with my first child 9yrs ago was to do it but my ex emptied out my bank account and took the funds that I had saved to pay for it. So this Bub will be the only one to get it unfortunately. Seeing my OB in 10days so going to speak to him about it. I've emailed cell care and cryosite for information aswell as I've been and read some things that some companies only do collections on weekdays and not weekends and I'm scheduled for c-sec on a sunday

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cell care were cool anytime with me, I did have an elective Caesar but they put someone on call for you and ask u to notify them as soon as u feel any signs of labour....I did cord blood but not tissue, the tissue was more money again, and I was more thinking that blood is quite well researched and whilst I'm sure cord tissue will have its place I was thinking as it is in its infancy I wasn't sure if they wouldn't find in 10y it would have been better stored in.... Or x qty....but that was just my reasoning.....pity I'm only likely to have one kid ( mainly choice, although was Ivf, but I stored anyway ), hopefully we'll never need it but it's insurance u can't go back later! And it might be of use to hubby or I or my other immediate family.....