+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigweeBigwee
    As for high school, I can't wait until they're old enough so I can leave them at home and travel by ourselves!!
    yeah !!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (10-09-2014)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigweeBigwee
    As for high school, I can't wait until they're old enough so I can leave them at home and travel by ourselves!! 😄
    yeah !!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    And what if you have a teacher who says 'holidays are holidays, you don't do school work on holidays?' We have that teacher this year and personally, I love him! Our neighbours are also retired teachers (husband and wife) who have both said they never gave out homework when kids went on holidays during school time because they learn so much being away as it is.
    We were given homework the first year (different teacher) we went away, it didn't get done. There was no time for homework, we were too busy having fun and being free and learning without being behind a desk.

TBH - it doesn't really matter how anyone feels about families going for holidays during school terms...if you're not comfortable with it don't do it, if you are then have fun and enjoy yourself
    Then I would feel OK about it if the teacher felt the time off was fine and I had at least tried (and demonstrated to the kids that we had explored the option)

This is a bit of a tangent but I guess I see so many people complaining about aspects of school `my child is not at a high enough reading level' `the teacher has too many sick days' `they are doing too much fun stuff not enough learning' type thing but then have the attitude that missing school for holidays does not matter. I don't think you can have it both ways and I do feel that some people have a pretty poor attitude when it comes to the importance of schooling and this rubs off on their children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I don't think it's right to let your kid skip school for an annual one week holiday at the Bonnie Doon Big 4. On the other hand a once in a lifetime trip to Europe (for example) is a whole other kettle of fish.
    We're a teaching family and have a one-week opportunity a year to have a week's holiday at reduced prices...so we take it or it goes up by 150% the next week which we can't afford. I think if the experience you take your child out of school for is meaningful and teaches about life or is quality family time then it is justified. If need be, take a little work to avoid having to catch up or miss out. I've happily given chn work to do for their holidays when they've requested it...asking for it on the last day prior to holidays is a bit much though and a few days "heads-up" is good to be able to get everything together for them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldnt hesitate doing it while in early school years and then not around exam time for high school.

We always went on camping/fishing holidays as children. They were so much fun and we experienced so much. My brother got pulled out for a 3 week driving holiday up to the Cape with my dad and his friends. His teacher encouraged it as he'd learn experiences a classroom could not give him.

Niece and nephew went on a 2 month overseas holiday last year (yr 6 & 7) with encouragement from teachers.

Is it just other parents that are against it? Because it seems majority of teachers are all for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am taking kiddo out of school next year(year 3 for him) for 1.5wks so we can go on a cruise. Once we work out dates, i am gonna have to put my work leave form in as i want a lot longer off work. I dont see the harm as he doesnt have time off school(maybe last day of term to leave for camping)

Sent from my GT-I9506 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    I see so many people complaining about aspects of school `my child is not at a high enough reading level' `the teacher has too many sick days' `they are doing too much fun stuff not enough learning' type thing but then have the attitude that missing school for holidays does not matter. I don't think you can have it both ways and I do feel that some people have a pretty poor attitude when it comes to the importance of schooling and this rubs off on their children.
    I think it's okay to complain about these things but still take time out of school for holidays. My kids know that we go away during school time every year, but they know that it's not okay to fake sick days and that you turn up to school on time every day; and whilst you're there you listen, you do your work as asked and you obey the rules. The reality for us (and probably 80% of people) is that our holidays are generally in the wind down part of the year, where it's a lot of movies, end of year 'party' excursions (to a park, to watch a movie and then eat pizza etc.), Christmas craft etc. When my oldest went to visit family earlier this year she had an assignment due in the time she was away...her teacher said she could do it when she got back, but I got her to do it before she went away.

Education is important...and I believe there are several ways for a child to get an education...however, I send my child to school for that uniformed structure where they learn about consistency, they learn how to read and write etc....if one of my kids got a teacher who wasn't capable of doing their job properly then yes I would complain...it's why I'm sending my child to school.