+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyEL View Post
    No not the sort of holiday most people have going to Bali... They don't go for culture they go cause it's cheap!
    That doesn't mean that learning can't occur though Part of teaching is pulling out those key learning moments in the most basic of things in life that you can take for granted. I could think of so many curriculum outcomes going to Bali it would be impossible to list them all.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (08-09-2014),beebs  (09-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    We did it this year for the first time (we had kids in school for 15 years so far) it was the best thing we have ever done. We went to Melbourne. So not some overseas big hoo hah. While education was the last thing on ours minds the kids did learn stuff. It just wasn't the point of the trip.

We had hope to again next year but since my car broke down and that has taken our accommodation money I can't see how we can do it. It totally devastating. It was suppose to be dd1 21st birthday gift. She never got a party or big gift for her 18th. This was going to make up for that. She and us had been looking forward so much. It had pulled her through some dark days.
    Sorry for the long vent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    That doesn't mean that learning can't occur though Part of teaching is pulling out those key learning moments in the most basic of things in life that you can take for granted. I could think of so many curriculum outcomes going to Bali it would be impossible to list them all.
    That's great & they can do that going on the school holidays aswell... I'm not having a go at Balinese culture, they are wonderful people & have a very rich culture, it was an example I used because people don't go their for that in general they go the 'cheapness' of the holiday, it would be great if people went there to experience more than just cheap clothes, food & alcohol but they don't. Yes I'm generalising in sure there are people that go there for the cultural experience but they are very few between.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have taken my daughter out of school for the last 6 years to go on holiday overseas. She is now in year 9, we are going again next month during school. I have a sibling with a terminal disease and I believe that these holidays mean way more than 2 weeks at school. When she is an adult the trip to Disneyland will always be with her rather than the maths assignment. I also think the family Bonniedoon holiday is important and can taken during during school if it best suits the parents. Times together as a family are what life is about.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to beancounter For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyG4 View Post
    We are going on a cruise in October during the school term.
    . I'm going on my first cruise in October - Carnival Spirit. I can't believe how many people I know are cruising in October! I'm sure I will get on the ship and know half the people.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to beancounter For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (10-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree with you @beancounter - it makes it makes overseas holidays even more special when you are visiting family.

Also - for the ones who think it isn't ok to pull kids out of school for holidays - when you go overseas, someone is going to miss school -whether it be your kids, or your friends/family kids - our holidays are at completely different times to other countries.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Every location has learning opportunities. Environmental studies, team work ( with playing with siblings/ new friends), physical education, culture, language, gee you can even consider counting the number of fish caught at bonnie doon maths ( then home ec to cook it).

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (09-09-2014),beebs  (09-09-2014),MrsSS  (09-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was young yr 2, I went for an east coast 6wk holiday with my parents and missed some school. I think I learnt a lot on that trip. I took activities from school and even learnt all about time and clocks from a little boy in Yeppon. My parents think school is very important, but so is real life.

You don't just have learning experiences overseas, we have the most amazing people and country here too.

I eventually got to go overseas and love learning different cultures. Travelling is a learning, eye opening experience. Hope I can take my children one day, and it might be in school time

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsSS For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can generally get it approved if you sign an exemption form from the school, which means you won't have the attendance officer following it up. As a teacher, I would say make sure your child is not missing the content of what would be learnt in that time. Ask the teacher to make your child a workbook or similar with activities that relate to what is happening in class. There will always be some things that can't happen out of the classroom, so what does get included in there shouldn't take much of your time. Get your child to keep a daily journal of what you are doing on holiday, and include pictures etc. This will cover their English/writing for the time you are away

Thanks
    Reviews
    We took our kids (year 1 and prep) out of school last year due to my husband not being able to get leave on school holidays. The teacher was fine with it. We told her my son would keep a diary about what he did and what he learnt each day. He presented it to the class on his return.

I think it's fine for primary school if you commit to educating the kids in some way. Even if it's doing the times table or reading signs etc on the long drive!

As for high school, I can't wait until they're old enough so I can leave them at home and travel by ourselves!! 😄