+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I just don't think a caravan park in an average location is going to offer a learning opportunity worth missing school for. Such a holiday would be more focused on relaxing with family and not education. And that's ok if it's what people chose, it's just that I have a very high threshold when it comes to missing school (and I know everyone has a different line in the sand with this).
    - I'm not trying to have a dig at those who holiday in caravan parks and can't afford overseas holiday (this is me... I go to a coastal Big4 every year with the family and dream of taking the kids to Europe when I win lotto).
    Just so you know, your comment made me laugh, but I wasn't offended by it. I love how much our kids have seen and experienced staying in caravan parks in average locations and think they learn heaps from it...even just from our one week stay in a tiny little coastal town at the Big 4 caravan park. Our kids made friends with other kids who have naughty parents who take them out of school for holidays...one of them lived on a farm, where they run a farm stay and are completely self sufficient. One of them lived in the grounds of a very posh school in her home town, and one was living in a camper trailer with their family as they had packed up and were spending 6-12 months travelling from town to town, with plans to stop for good at a place their parents both liked and could get jobs at. The other friend was holidaying with her grandparents and came from a very different cultural background. That was our 'sit at the park and rest and relax' holiday and my kids still talk about the friends they met and how they live their lives....they learnt so much more than that too, but don't under estimate the educational experience of setting up camp for a week in a caravan park in an average area

But, of course everyone has different rules about holidaying in school time. I'm of the 'avoid school holiday crowds at all costs' opinion

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (08-09-2014),beebs  (09-09-2014),peanutmonkey  (08-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We are taking the kids out of school for a week in the 2nd week of term 4. It was supposed to be the week they start back but sil has her year 12 camp so we will go the week after. Its not something we do regularly (they may miss a day here and there on a friday or monday of we travel to see my family) and we will make arrangements for sil's school work if need be.

I dont have a problem with it, as long as it's not a regular occurrence and arrangements are made if there is school work/assignments that need to be done.

He + Me = dd1 (July 2007), dd2 (July 2010), dd3 (August 2012), dd4 (May 2014)
    Embrace the chaos

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    I live near Bonnie Doon!
    Is there a Big4 at Bonnie Doon?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    LMAO at Bonnie Doon Big 4!

Given I am married to a teacher all our holidays are already in school holiday period so we are used to it.

My BIL's both take their kids out of school for `Bonnie Doon' type holidays. The reason I don't agree with it comes down to the parents attitude, they both have the `meh, it's only a week or two, they are not missing much'. I think that attitude rubs off on kids and devalues school and it's importance.

If you are taking school work and making sure the kids know this is a rare, big deal to be missing school and the holiday itself is a learning opportunity then it sits more easily with me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (09-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum works in a school where 95% of the students are born overseas/first generation. They have a real problem with children being pulled out of school for extended periods (months at a time) to holiday with family in their country of origin. They are often children who are already struggling due to the challenges of ESL and cultural differences. These breaks from school set them back years in their education.

I am sure the government is putting more focus onto scenarios like this than a family pulling their child out a week before end of term.

Whilst I'm casual, and since DH works away and hasn't yet accrued any leave, our trips must work around his roster. So that does mean DD missing 2-3 days of school here or there. She generally has 2-3 days off sick a year, I make any appointments out of school hours so never pull her out for the dentist etc and is ahead of where she should be academically.

I missed something like 40 days of school one year (made up of full days and half days missed) due to an injury. I still maintained my straight As. Missing school for any reason can be managed well or managed poorly in terms of minimising the negative impact on academic progress.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    LMAO at Bonnie Doon Big 4!

Given I am married to a teacher all our holidays are already in school holiday period so we are used to it.

My BIL's both take their kids out of school for `Bonnie Doon' type holidays. The reason I don't agree with it comes down to the parents attitude, they both have the `meh, it's only a week or two, they are not missing much'. I think that attitude rubs off on kids and devalues school and it's importance.

If you are taking school work and making sure the kids know this is a rare, big deal to be missing school and the holiday itself is a learning opportunity then it sits more easily with me.
    And what if you have a teacher who says 'holidays are holidays, you don't do school work on holidays?' We have that teacher this year and personally, I love him! Our neighbours are also retired teachers (husband and wife) who have both said they never gave out homework when kids went on holidays during school time because they learn so much being away as it is.
    We were given homework the first year (different teacher) we went away, it didn't get done. There was no time for homework, we were too busy having fun and being free and learning without being behind a desk.

TBH - it doesn't really matter how anyone feels about families going for holidays during school terms...if you're not comfortable with it don't do it, if you are then have fun and enjoy yourself

Mod-RaryGirl is online now Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I just don't think a caravan park in an average location is going to offer a learning opportunity worth missing school for. Such a holiday would be more focused on relaxing with family and not education. And that's ok if it's what people chose, it's just that I have a very high threshold when it comes to missing school (and I know everyone has a different line in the sand with this).
    - I'm not trying to have a dig at those who holiday in caravan parks and can't afford overseas holiday (this is me... I go to a coastal Big4 every year with the family and dream of taking the kids to Europe when I win lotto).
    Off topic but ... You'd probably consider where I live an 'average location' and the caravan park here is nothing flash but there is the opportunity to learn about the turtle migration and their local habitat. Plus if here at the right time you may see turtles lay their eggs or hatchlings heading to the ocean. Or head into town and see Bert Hinklers old home transported brick by brick from the UK, check out his hall of aviation or the old museum. We've got some pretty cool for an average old town.

What I'm trying to say is there is always something to learn, even in the most average of place.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mod-RaryGirl For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-09-2014),delirium  (08-09-2014),LoveLivesHere  (08-09-2014),RuffledPansy  (08-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is there a Big4 at Bonnie Doon?
    No, but there are a few dodgy a$$ caravan parks that look like you would catch an std just by breathing near them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    Really? I've never been to Bali but you don't think the kids get much out of visiting a country with such a different culture? I beg to differ. I imagine they learn an absolute ton.
    No not the sort of holiday most people have going to Bali... They don't go for culture they go cause it's cheap!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    So they don't learn about a different culture and gain life experience by going to Bali?
    Depends on the parents I suppose but most people that go to Bali (especially from WA) don't go and experience the culture, they go cause it's cheap, they stay at their westernised hotels, visit water parks & but cheap clothes... They might see some Balinese dancing at a restaurant but they don't go out of their way to see places that show the culture...