+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] RaryGirl View Post
    Each educational in their own way.
    Yes. When I think about our impending holiday, the trainee teacher in me makes links to multiple syllabus outcomes lol PE, maths, science, even HSIE and English they can learn about. There is so much they can learn beyond the trip being fun.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think going on a long European holiday (or something similar) where they gain life experience & learn about world history is beneficial, especially writing a journal and teaching them along the way, plus that family time is priceless... but in the same light I don't agree with taking your kids out of school to go to Bali for a week just cause it's cheaper... They aren't going to gain much from that, it's more about the parents than the kids, IMO... My sister & BIL do it every year, I'd rather do it every second year in the school holidays...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AmyEL For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (08-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are going to USA for 1month in November, chose those dates for thanksgiving and other amazing things over there, but also as it's easiest for hubby to get time off not in school holiday period. so my 5yr old will miss out on the final month of school. I called the education dept and was told pretty much that it didn't matter as she is so young and just to let the school know. Of course I will make her write a journal about her holiday, she wouldn't be doing much else at school anyway. I honestly think that there is so much more to be learnt outside school, and can't wait to give her this experience and opportunity.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to melissa20588 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-09-2014),VicPark  (08-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids are still in primary so it may be harder to in high school but we do it every year (and we're big fans of Big4 caravan parks ).

Why? Because it's heaps cheaper and quieter to go outside of school holidays.
    By the end of this year our kids will have seen the east coast of Australia from Noosa down to Port Fairy at the end of the Great Ocean Rd....one Big 4 caravan park (where available) at a time thanks to our travels during school time.
    Teachers and the principal at our school are perfectly fine with it...recently one of my children went on a trip to Europe to meet family...so that particular child will miss 6 weeks of school this year due to holidays...and yet her naplan results have come back all band 5's and 6's and above the national average in everything...I don't take much notice of naplan, but she's certainly not falling behind from her time away from school experiencing the country.

ETA - I gave my DD a travel journal for her European holiday but just so she would have a memorable keepsake.
    Last edited by Full House; 08-09-2014 at 21:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyEL View Post
    I think going on a long European holiday (or something similar) where they gain life experience & learn about world history is beneficial, especially writing a journal and teaching them along the way, plus that family time is priceless... but in the same light I don't agree with taking your kids out of school to go to Bali for a week just cause it's cheaper... They aren't going to gain much from that, it's more about the parents than the kids, IMO... My sister & BIL do it every year, I'd rather do it every second year in the school holidays...
    Really? I've never been to Bali but you don't think the kids get much out of visiting a country with such a different culture? I beg to differ. I imagine they learn an absolute ton.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-09-2014),gizmoduckus  (08-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think children (and families) can gain a lot from spending quality time together. If the best time (for whatever reason) for the family to have holidays is outside school holidays, I see nothing wrong with it. I think that education and learning outside of school are also very important, not to mention bonding time with the family. As long as the child copes well I see no reason for being rigid about that.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Starfish30 For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (08-09-2014),beebs  (09-09-2014),jez  (08-09-2014),Serenity Love  (12-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyEL View Post
    So they don't learn about a different culture and gain life experience by going to Bali?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-09-2014),Full House  (08-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    Really? I've never been to Bali but you don't think the kids get much out of visiting a country with such a different culture? I beg to differ. I imagine they learn an absolute ton.
    I was going to say the same thing. I don't see how Italy has any more educational or cultural value than Bali!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-09-2014),Full House  (08-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    Wow, really? Any holiday destination can be a learning opportunity and great for family time, not to mention many families simply can't afford overseas holidays.
    I just don't think a caravan park in an average location is going to offer a learning opportunity worth missing school for. Such a holiday would be more focused on relaxing with family and not education. And that's ok if it's what people chose, it's just that I have a very high threshold when it comes to missing school (and I know everyone has a different line in the sand with this).
    - I'm not trying to have a dig at those who holiday in caravan parks and can't afford overseas holiday (this is me... I go to a coastal Big4 every year with the family and dream of taking the kids to Europe when I win lotto).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I don't think it's right to let your kid skip school for an annual one week holiday at the Bonnie Doon Big 4. On the other hand a once in a lifetime trip to Europe (for example) is a whole other kettle of fish.
    I live near Bonnie Doon!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (08-09-2014)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast