+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    there are no schools at all. nothing. nada. zip.

it seems like schooling is no longer a right but a privilege. the education department has sent me information on how to home school BUT this means i can no longer work or even think of having a job even if i wanted one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you rent out your new house and rent a different one? Maybe close to where you are now, so you can keep your kids in that school, then put them down on the wait list for the private ones, and then move once they have a place?

Or just try ringing the education department again. I find it very bizarre that your kids are not allowed into their zoned school, especially if they are now at risk of having no education at all (other than home schooling). I have never ever heard of this happening.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    2 options i have looked at. i need to be settled if i am having this baby early though.

to rent a house in this area, i would need to pay over $500 a week. i can't afford that. all my money has gone to actually buying a house an getting set up to give my kids a future.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @tastychicken I would rarely recommend this since I work in an industry where people regularly go to the media to get what they want but I seriously think that's what you should do. Go to your local MP, write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper and also contact other media (I don't want to say ACA but you know what I mean)

It is completely unreasonable to me that there is not 1 school you can send your children to. Especially when they are in a certain zone and there is a school in that zone.

Also completely unreasonable that you should be encouraged to home school and quit work - especially with conservative governments all round who want people, especially parents, to work. Maybe SA doesn't have a conservative govt so I might be wrong about that.

But seriously, this does not make sense. Someone needs to intervene.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tastychicken View Post
    2 options i have looked at. i need to be settled if i am having this baby early though.

to rent a house in this area, i would need to pay over $500 a week. i can't afford that. all my money has gone to actually buying a house an getting set up to give my kids a future.
    Yes but surely your new house should get a similar amount of rent so in theory the rent you get for your home would pay for most of the rent on another house

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    i have actually got to the stage where i have threatened to got to the media over this issue. My son has autism, i can not even just have a spot randomly given on the first day of school and have him attend. He needs a solid line of prepping for each major change that occurs.

If I had to homeschool, i would need to be a family day carer or something to pay the mortgage. i need to feed and cloth my children. My bad luck seems to be increasing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

But what about the income rent from your other place?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    so after getting in contact with state and federal members of parliament. My federal member (i love her) got my kids a place at a school.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maxwell's Silver Hammer For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (10-09-2014),SimplyMum  (10-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    there are no schools at all. nothing. nada. zip.

it seems like schooling is no longer a right but a privilege. the education department has sent me information on how to home school BUT this means i can no longer work or even think of having a job even if i wanted one.
    I'm sorry, I'm a bit confused. I thought from your posts that you do have the option of attending the school you are zoned for - it's just that you don't like this school (fair enough, I am a bit school fussy myself). They cannot refuse you entry to that school - they will have to accommodate your children. Have you actually contacted the school, and they have directly told you 'yes, we will 100% refuse entry for your child?' It seems bizarre if so, and you need to let the ed. dept know that your local zoned school is refusing you entry - they are not allowed to do this.

Also, you mentioned that you have a taxi pass to attend a school 40 mins away? So your children could attend that school, without you needing to travel?

It seems like the above are your two options for getting into public schools immediately. Then you could look into the private schools in the area if you are unhappy particularly with the 1st option of the school you don't like.

I am a private school teacher, and we are really unable to give for certain a waiting time for kids to attend a class - it is never 100%. So if they say 2 years waiting time, for example, that your gr 1 child will be able to enter in gr 3, they are really guesstimating. Same as for your rec child - enrolments are often not even confirmed at this stage, a lot of parents will put their name down at 2 - 3 schools & then pull out of two of them last minute, leaving vacancies. Parents only need to give 1 term notice for when they are leaving a school, so if a large amount of parents leave the school in a year for any reason (they could be moving house, circumstances change, etc), there could be vacancies open up next year. You really need to ring the private schools in your area & request an enrolment interview, get your name down, and express your interest. Sometimes when there is enough interest, they will open up a new reception class, etc. Keep trying until you get in somewhere - if not, you have the first two public school options, that, even if not ideal, at least the option is there.

You shouldn't be homeschooling a gifted and an ASD child, unless you are completely sure that it is the right option for you and for them, that it is the best option for their education. You will not be able to homeschool and do FDC, your 'job' will be as a full time schoolteacher & you will need to commit your days to educating your children, not to looking after others' children.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

harvs  (10-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    so after getting in contact with state and federal members of parliament. My federal member (i love her) got my kids a place at a school.
    Good news. Which school?