+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    It's also why it's really considerate to inform a school if you are going to be enrolling your child/ren in the following year as far ahead of time as you can, even if it's not 100% certain.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

babyla  (09-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    But then how does that work if they're already at their enrolment capacity?

Sounds like OP needs to talk to the department of education and find out what they say.
    They go over capacity. Our local school has capacity for 1100 students but has close to 1200 at the moment. Its not ideal by any means but the school finds a way to make it work. I can understand not being thrilled with the numbers, but if its your only option then its your only option, and so you take it and make the best of it. And you never know, you might end up loving the school. If not, you have the private school waiting list as a plan b.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    they wont take them as my son falls in the year with all the baby bonus boom plus he is disabled. the stress is killing me.

i called the education department. the best option is to keep them where they are and get a taxi to and from or a petrol allowance. we are 1hr each way from the new house.

the local schools are so full, they are building new buildings an have trans-portables everywhere.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would move.

This is what we will need to do in 10 years to avoid private school fees if the local high school doesn't significantly improve.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If they refuse to take him due to his disability, surely that would be in breach of the disability discrimination act.
    Could you keep your kids at their current school until the end of the year, then enrol at your local school start of term 1 next year? Not ideal but there isn't too much of this year left now...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to besha For This Useful Post:

Raising Leprechauns  (10-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is this country SA? How frustrating!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by tastychicken View Post
    the house prices in the area i live are at 700k average for a small 3 bedroom place. can you afford that?
    What I can afford is irrelevant. From memory you had to get out of your rental? Or is staying a bit longer and renting your new house out until school spots open up an option?
    Last edited by VicPark; 10-09-2014 at 07:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No matter what I decided to do- my first stop would be putting the kids names down at the private schools. The sooner the better, than I would work on what to do in the mean time. I would even consider putting DD in the private school before her brother (as I believe there was a space for her), and than continue to work on DS situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    What I can afford is irrelevant. From memory you had to get out of your rental? Or is staying a bit longer and renting your new house out until school spots open up an option?

I am so glad to be out of the rental. I am currently at my partners house and it is a really small 2 bedroom unit so we are on top of each other. Plus I am due to have a baby soon and have a history of prem labour with my waters breaking for my daughter at 28 weeks. I am 24 weeks now. So we kind of need to get moved and settled sooner then later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    For us our kids schooling is our main priority, including over living in our ideal location. Coming from Melbourne we also faced moving to a suburb we didn't necessarily love because it was best for the kids' schooling.

OP do you really need to live in the house you have found? Are there other options?