+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week

Default Serious schooling dilemma.

My partner and I have just bought a house. A great house in a small gated community full of elerly that is the original street overlooking wetlands in a giant housing development (ours is the display home that has just come up for sale and no actual housing will be undertaken with 200metres of our house).

However we fall into a no mans land in regards to schooling. There is 2 local private schools that are very expensive and have a 3 year waiting list. The school they are zoned for has an awful reputation (the worst in the state with no extra activities except sport.....urch), they have junior primary classes over 30 kids too so they have zero space at all. The other schools are all zoned and have said no except one (the actually nicest in the area) which i am meeting with the principal on thursday to negotiate entry.

Where does this leave me if the kids are not accepted to this other zoned school? The local school has zero spots and is busting at the seems and is yuck.

What is worse is that i have one ASD child and one who is gifted an the local school has zero provisions for giftedness due to their very low scores and demographic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You'll just have to hope you get into this other one. If you don't, your zoned school will take you, they have to no matter how full they are. Or, start saving for the private ones.

Or, move house. And make sure you look into schooling options before you do.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (09-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    You'll just have to hope you get into this other one. If you don't, your zoned school will take you, they have to no matter how full they are. Or, start saving for the private ones.

Or, move house. And make sure you look into schooling options before you do.
    we can afford the private school fees. That is no issue. I would prefer not to pay in excess of 10k per year for schooling for 2 children but i would.

We are buying a house in the area so we are moving house. I assumed schooling on one side a major capital city to the other would be the same.
    Last edited by Maxwell's Silver Hammer; 08-09-2014 at 14:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    If you can afford the private school and it's better than the one you are zoned for I wouldn't hesitate sending my kids private. My 2nd child is profoundly gifted and found the state school we sent her to completely wrong for her - I have no idea how your child is gifted but the flip side to my child's giftedness is she finds crowds and noise difficult to handle so a large class was a nightmare for her and she struggled. We moved her to a private school with much smaller classes and she's thrived.

Honestly after that experience I would never send my kids to a school I wasn't completely happy sending them to. No school is perfect but if you don't like what you know of the place before you even go I just wouldn't take the risk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    There is over a 3 year waiting list for private so that is not an option. there is such a schooling shortage that there doesn't really seem to be any options. I am really at a loss of what to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Also i should state, zoned schools on't actually have to take kids in their zone if they are already over capacity. The local one to where i live is way over.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Where we live zoned school have to take all children in the zone - they have no choice.

It sounds like you need to contact the education department if you don't get into your school of choice. Good luck.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

ourbradybunch  (08-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Where we live zoned school have to take all children in the zone - they have no choice.

It sounds like you need to contact the education department if you don't get into your school of choice. Good luck.
    This. Unless they contact the govt to get a cap on admissions they have to take you. In the school I taught at we went from 3 prep classes one year to 6 the next because the school had new building work done and all of a sudden everyone was applying (and had to be taken). We managed to cap it this year for just 4 classes but generally you can just rock up on the first day if you are in the zone and legally they can't turn you away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    they are capped.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by tastychicken View Post
    they are capped.
    Then I would get in contact with the Ed Dept ASAP.