+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had the total opposite experience to some of the members here, my very fussy clingy baby slept zero and screamed 24 hours a day for 4 months - we had a nanny at the time who insisted on CC, and to be honest -by that time, I was desperate to try anything. So we did it, and he got it in the end and ended up being a great sleeper. When DS4 came along, he was such a cruisey baby that I decided to not give him a routine and not CC him, I just a) didn't see the point and b) wasn't completely comfortable with it, he was a great sleeper for almost a year - and then it was like a light switch was flicked - he became a terrible sleeper, getting up throughout the night, drawing on walls, waking up and 2,3,4 in the morning. And I'm sorry to say - he is still like that now - at 3 years and 3 months.

So I personally look back and wished I'd gotten him into some kind of routine. Having said that - hindsight is a great thing And of course, you can only do what you feel comfortable with!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I agree there are high needs babies and 'easy' babies, however so often mothers are told to suck it up, you have a high needs baby, do away with the books, advice etc, but too often the high needs come from a medical issue and putting everything to babies just being high needs can be damaging.

I talk from experience, I was heartstringz, my DD had silent reflux caused by CMPI, and was told the same thing. Ever day I was on the internet, forums, parents help lines, asking the same kinds of questions as heartstringz as I just NEEDED answers. A paediatrician finally gave me those answers, but 4.5 long hard months later.

I think every parent with a high needs or clingy, or what ever you want to call it baby, if they are struggling, needs to see a paed for their baby to rule out medical issues, before going down the it's 100% your baby's personality. If I had done that, DD could have had irreparable damage to her digestive system.

HS, you need to enquire about your DS tongue tie, it can be remedied (as a pp said, snipping or laser) and you might find it may work for your feeding issues. Get that done at the very least, then if that still doesn't help, see a paed. Not your GP but a paed. Ask on the hub for a recommendation for paeds good with tongue ties, intolerance and reflux.

As a PP said too, sometimes it's not a change in routine, or new pyjamas or a new way of settling, but you can't ignore there could be medical issues.

That's all I can say hun, I see your new threads all the time and you're clearly not coping and I must say you've been given some rubbish advice by 'medical professionals' which has left you grasping at straws and it's doing nothing for your anxiety.

I can't give any more advice personally as I feel you need to make the decision to get a proper health check for your bub. Sorry to be blunt, but everyone on here can keep giving advice until they are blue in the face, but YOU need to make a plan of what to try. Write down all of the suggestions you agree with on all of your threads, prioritise them and tick them off the list one by one. I recommend tongue tie snip and paed first, but that's just me.

Good luck hun.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

adeline14  (11-09-2014),Lissy12  (10-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with much of what you've said Allie pallie. For my high needs baby there was a tongue the, there was food intolerance and silent reflux. And everyone kept brushing off my concerns but in my heart I knew something wasn't right. Having says that, i now know that even aside from his medical issues, he was always going to be super alert and not need as much sleep as other kids. He's too blooming smart!

I don't actually believe that babies are chronically fussy or unsettled for no reason!!! There is always an underlying issue (I believe) and that's why I wince at the thought of 'showing' your baby who's boss when they are begging for your help and trying to let you know something isn't right the only way they can! A brand new, innocent life deserves the benefit of the doubt. And mums in this "sophisticated" society deserve a lot less pressure and idealism and judgement, and far more support at a societal, governmental and community level! And these utterly unrealistic expectations that we get subliminally drip fed don't help anyone adjust well to motherhood--especially for the first time.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lissy12 For This Useful Post:

Barnaby  (11-09-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (10-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Some days he's not having much time lying on a mat to play etc - he gets more time me talking to him etc

Apart from anything else I have trouble knowing when to lie him on his mat or have tummy time - cause if its straight after a feed he spews but if I wait then its sleep time

Ok so how do I get him started on the sos routine? According to that he's meant to have a feed at 7am, but he usually feeds 5.30-6.30am

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    If bub won't wait then feed at 5:30 and top up at 7. Or feed one boob at 6, the other at 7 etc. as bub gets bigger bub will last longer between feeds

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post
    I agree there are high needs babies and 'easy' babies, however so often mothers are told to suck it up, you have a high needs baby, do away with the books, advice etc, but too often the high needs come from a medical issue and putting everything to babies just being high needs can be damaging.

I talk from experience, I was heartstringz, my DD had silent reflux caused by CMPI, and was told the same thing. Ever day I was on the internet, forums, parents help lines, asking the same kinds of questions as heartstringz as I just NEEDED answers. A paediatrician finally gave me those answers, but 4.5 long hard months later.

I think every parent with a high needs or clingy, or what ever you want to call it baby, if they are struggling, needs to see a paed for their baby to rule out medical issues, before going down the it's 100% your baby's personality. If I had done that, DD could have had irreparable damage to her digestive system.
    There are of course babies who are more challenging than others due to medical issue but there are also challenging babies who are just that way, my DD was one of those. There was nothing medically wrong with her, I had her regularly checked and she didn't show symptoms of reflux, silent reflux or any other similar sorts of issues. She just fed 24/7 for the fist 3-4 months; every day's pattern was nothing like the previous days even though we weren't doing anything different; she often slept 2 x 15 minutes a day and showed no signs of tiredness; at some point at about 9 months she moved to one day sleep of 40-60 minutes long; she was not interested in food until she was about 8 months old despite us trying all variations of finger food and purees; she woke for feeding during the night every 1-3 hours until I weaned her at 18 months and even after that she still woke regularly during the night; she had to be held all the time AND you had to be walking around otherwise she would cry (she was like that from the birth); she had to have body contact with me whilst she slept otherwise she would wake (many time I would try to put her down in a cot whilst she was in a deep sleep but she would wake up straight away, if I even dared to roll over in bed next to her she would wake up); she slept through the night about 4-5 times until she was 2; she would not do swings, baby mats/gyms/bouncinettes; and she would usually cry in the car unless it was moving. Needless to say it was a struggle (to put it mildly) and I am eternally grateful for DH's support and attentiveness during this extremely difficult period. I don't want to scare anyone but she was like this until she was about 10 months old and able to cruise - ie, she was mobile. She is now a very switched-on 3.5 year old with advanced comprehension and verbal skills that I have to prod in the morning to get out of bed. By no means do I want to sound like a competitive Mum but with the exception of babies with medical issues/special needs (eg reflux, premies) I have yet to hear of a more challenging baby.

My point is that some babies are just extraordinarily more challenging for no apparent reason.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Barnaby  (11-09-2014),MsViking  (10-09-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (10-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Busy-bee, I wholeheartedly agree which is why HS needs to rule medical issues out.

HS I know you've been to the lc who advised osteo and a GP who ruled out reflux, so maybe you do just have a high needs baby, but if the lc didn't even offer remedies for a tongue tie, I'm sorry but I think she has failed you. So has your GP, because unlike Busy-Bee, your posts scream of a baby with reflux.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (10-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Anxiety makes everything seem SO much harder! Trust me, I'm right here with you. I had been trying to avoid meds because I didn't want to take anything until I was finished breastfeeding (he's 7 months and I want to feed to at least 1). I've been trying to 'tough it out' because I have anxiety about taking anxiety meds while breastfeeding! But I've finally decided enough is enough and seeing the doc this week for a prescription.

I have what many probably think is an 'easy' baby. He's not fussy and we have a great nap routine. He wakes 2-3 times overnight to eat which is hard but still not that bad compared to others. I know that he's not that 'bad' of a baby but I still find this mom gig ridiculously hard, I guarantee I find it harder than so many other moms that have 'harder' babies and that's because of my anxiety. I'm saying all of this because I can only imagine how you must feel with a 'fussy' baby and I am sure if you look into getting your anxiety under control so much of this will seem a little less difficult.

I also wish I never had experience with children before, it's set my expectations too high and that combined with my need for constant info (ie books) often makes me feel like I'm doing everything wrong. I wish I was ignorant, I'd probably be able to go with the flow so much easier if I knew nothing. That is why, if you're going to read something, I recommended the books I did. The Babybliss book is such a laid back approach at a routine, by following her tips my DS more fell naturally into his nap and bedtime routine rather than me forcing it on him. It's more just tips and suggestions rather than 'you have to' do something. The Wonder Weeks helps you understand all the development and changes a baby goes through and makes you feel a little less like your baby is crazy I'm 'blessed' with a child that hits all of them.

Something I often do if DS wakes too early from a nap is pick him up and lay him down in bed with me. He usually falls straight back to sleep with my hand on his tummy and I use it as an excuse to just lay down and rest. Not sure if he lets you do that but if he does just take those opportunities, other crap can wait.

Something else that may help, do you have a blackout blind?

Eta: I also agree with ap about seeing a pediatrician .
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 10-09-2014 at 18:37.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (10-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Also, I believe Harvey Karp's book 'Happiest Baby on the Block' is settling techniques for babies with reflux----maybe that could help?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm going to go against the grain in here and say just because the OP posts frequently asking for help doesn't necessarily means she is suffering from severe anxiety that requires help.

I know my dd was a NIGHTMARE for the first 3-4 months and I was trawling the net day and night reading forums... If I was a member of bubhub at the time I'm sure I would of come across as the same way asking questions about everything. I wasn't anxious, just sleep deprived and finding it so HARD, and looking for solutions.

For me there was no magic bullet, dd was just a nightmare newborn and then it started getting easier and easier and now she's blossomed from a screaming non sleeping non settling newborn to a fairly easy baby (in comparison to the newborn stage) and a great toddler.

Sometimes all it takes is time, and I look back at those days and laugh (or I would probably cry!)
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 11-09-2014 at 05:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I'm going to go against the grain in here and say just because the OP posts frequently asking for help doesn't necessarily means she is suffering from severe anxiety that requires help.

I know my dd was a NIGHTMARE for the first 3-4 months and I was trawling the net day and night reading forums... If I was a member of bubhub at the time I'm sure I would of come across as the same way asking questions about everything. I wasn't anxious, just sleep deprived and finding it so HARD, and looking for solutions.

For me there was no magic bullet, dd was just a nightmare newborn and then it started getting easier and easier and now she's blossomed from a screaming non sleeping non settling newborn to a fairly easy baby (in comparison to the newborn stage) and a great toddler.

Sometimes all it takes is time, and I look back at those days and laugh (or I would probably cry!)
    She's spoken about her anxiety before which is why most of us are commenting on it.