+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Here's another..ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1410179425.333554.jpg

Personally I found it easier to go off the clock than look for tired signs in the early days.

Once they get jerky or rub their eyes it's easy, but before 6months, I've always gone off the clock. Much easier and if you get it right it works a charm (for me anyway).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    put white noise/lullabies on for him & pat & shush etc. He usually starts screaming & continues until I pick him up. I'll usually wait till he's settled then put him down again but he immediately arcs up. Often this process goes for an hour or so until he starts doing hunger cues again. Or I give up before that & hold him to sleep or try & settle him in his rocker (sometimes works sometimes doesnt). Basically repeat this every feed & thats my day.

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Hi Heartstringz, I haven't read much of the other responses - to calm and settle my babies after feeds I put the telly onto Double J radio and pat/rock/burp them to the beat of the music. Sometimes sitting, sometimes standing. It isn't a magic answer that solves everything but you might surprise yourself by singing along and bopping away to something you know (white noise would do my head in!!).

When they have burped and/or calmed down, I put them within close earshot of the telly (but facing away from it) using either the baby swing, vibrating baby chair (looks like a bouncer) or in an old Emmaljunga pram that I use as a bassinet. I have the mattress in the pram propped up approx 30 degrees with a folded towel (reflux issues and DS is also a baby that prefers being upright rather than flat so this is as close to flat as he gets). That old pram is awesome, as I can rock it with my foot while I eat/fold washing etc and move DS between rooms. There have been feral nights when I could only get DS to settle in his vibrating chair and he has slept in it next to my side of the bed.

Best thing about being 'noisy' is that our babies have become good sleepers and we don't have to tiptoe around during naptimes, they seem to like hearing that we are 'around' too.

Keep trying stuff until you find whatever works for you and bubs, even if it is only temporary!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you go to a sleep school that is just a day program?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do they have day programs? Id be interested in doing a day program but I didnt know where to find them.

I called child health asking for help & they said they had nothing on sleeping & settling & that id just have to ask the mchn about it next appointment & that i could ask her to write me a referral for a resi stay at ellen barron

I asked the mchn for tips at the appointment & she said 'just wrap him up & put him to bed' helpful...not. does she really think I dont do that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Years ago there used to be a baby whisperer in Brisbane. Not sure if she is still around a few families I worked with had used her for settling tips and she comes to your house. Probably expensive though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Some days he's not having much time lying on a mat to play etc - he gets more time me talking to him etc

Apart from anything else I have trouble knowing when to lie him on his mat or have tummy time - cause if its straight after a feed he spews but if I wait then its sleep time

Ok so how do I get him started on the sos routine? According to that he's meant to have a feed at 7am, but he usually feeds 5.30-6.30am

My DS was like this started his day at the exact same time as yours so I just started everything on the routine x number of hours early to fall in line with HIS routine, not the book's. It meant he finished his day a lot earlier. Then it just magically worked out that all the modified times worked for him.

I didn't believe in forcing another person's routine on him if that makes sense - I worked out what suited him best and once I cracked that code it was a lot easier.

For no 2 that is coming though I may have to be a lot more tough - bc I will have 2 kids' routines to worry about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont get how to do the sleeping/settling part of the routine though - I was already putting him in his cot wrapped & patting/shhing etc - he just screamed. So theres not much difference between that & the book except for leaving the troom for 4 minutes. So how can I get it to work?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If he is screaming then imo he won't settle as he is upset.

Unfortunately there are koala babies out there that will only settle on mum. Can I help at all? I'm in bris and can take an hour off work today if you want me just to hold bub whilst you shower or have a cuppa?

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (09-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yay it worked! No idea why it dud, but it did. I wrapped him & put him in bed then just walked out. He cried for about 5 minutes then stopped & lay there awake & now he's gone to sleep! hopefully it will work again after the next feed at 10.15

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heartstringz For This Useful Post:

adeline14  (11-09-2014),Eilonwy  (09-09-2014),MsViking  (09-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately my first would also just scream if I tried anything but feeding, rocking or bouncing to sleep (that's where the bouncer was great because I didn't have to transfer or have her sleeping on me). She would go from happy and drowsy to screaming in 10 seconds up to coughing and vomiting in about 4 minutes, even if I was patting, shushing etc. DS was much easier to settle and all the 'tricks' worked on him.